• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sootycat

sootycat

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

I had a 16 year old cat. I am not an expert on breeds. It was my family's cat really. 

Anyway. This morning my Dad was backing his car out of the driveway. It was so early that I was still in bed. But I heard a conversation about "how could I have not seen her" and it was sadly obvious what had happened; he had run over her by accident. Her leg and spine were crushed. We got her to the vets by 8 am when they opened. The vet did x rays. But it was horrific. She could hardly breathe due to massive crush injuries, So the vet told us that there was nothing that could really be done. At best even if he operated she would probably still be paralysed. So my folks went down and the vet was a nice guy. He had Sooty in a blanket. Sooty was being given oxygen. The Vet let my folks pat her as Sooty was put to sleep. [I couldn't go and see - I couldn't bring myself to go.] 

She was a nice cat. She was a one person cat. She always woke my mum up. She didn't want to know me or Dad or anyone else. She had one lap and that was mum's lap, all day, every day. She was a night black, small, thin cat, a real witch's cat. She was a ferocious hunter and if she got a mouse or rat she would kill it quick and eat it whole - the whole lot. She could have survived on her own if she had to. 

RIP Sooty [2000-2016.] 

We have another cat [Daisy.]. Cats are not dumb of course; it won't take long for Daisy to work out that something is amiss. 

So far we are too distressed to get another cat. 

#2 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

How tragic, really isn't safe to allow cats to free roam they should be indoors or in an enclosure for safe outdoor time.

Hopefully Daisy adjusts ok

#3 sootycat

sootycat

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

Well, that is the dilemma.

I've had cats since about 1980. Every cat that I have had has wanted to go outdoors. They get rats and mice and birds. They chase off neighbour cats. To me it's cruel to keep cats indoors. 

We try to keep an eye out with cars. We feel even worse that it was our car that somehow went over the top of her. We think that she was hunting a bird. We have a big back yard; she was vert unlucky to be at that spot. 

Daisy and Sooty got on well. So Daisy will start to wonder. Where has Sooty gone? 

#4 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge & of course cats

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:40 AM

Cats grieve the same as we do.  We had to put our oldest cat to sleep a couple of weeks ago & even though not her best friend one of the others went off his food.  I am sorry for Sooty but as ChocolateDots says they are so much safer indoors with a catrun/catpark top help keep them safe

IPB Image

#5 sootycat

sootycat

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

Last night Daisy spent all night looking for Sooty. They have always been next to each other. Daisy is also old. We would get her another cat but there is no point; Daisy would chase it away. So we might get Daisy a heat warmer when the weather gets colder next year. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users