3 replies to this topic

#1 SammiF

SammiF

New Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

hi there,

my cat who is 7 yrs old, was put on Clomicalm for anxiety.  

I had no idea that the drug was so strong and would have side effects. (i'm annoyed that the Vet didn't explain that and more annoyed that i blindly agreed to it without first researching the drug!)

she was only on the drug for a couple of days of 5mg each. (x1 tab morning and one at night). but once i saw how zombied and 'scared looking' and disoriented she became i didnt' want to continue the meds!  (despite the vet recommending to reduce it to x1 tab per day).  

what i want to ask is if the side effects i'm seeing now will wear off soon? 

considering it is early days, i am maybe worrying too much but she still looks depressed, unresponsive and a bit disoriented and zombied out ...and is distant and doesn't like to be touched or cuddled. she's still eating ok and sometimes drinking water. 

does anyone have any feedback about this medication? i'm so worried as she doesn't seem like the same cat! :(

cheers

#2 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 2,243 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge & of course cats

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:43 AM

I'm sorry I can't tell you how long it will take for the drug to pass out of her system.  I have one of mine on Prozac & it doesn't seem to "zombie" him out.  He's perhaps not quite as active but he's still bright & will sometimes play with our younger cat.  We also have 2 Feliway diffusers running

IPB Image

#3 nanakante

nanakante

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:My hobby is playing with my cat

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:47 AM

While clomipramine is considered safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian for the treatment of behavioral disorders, some patients may be sensitive to the drug, which can potentially lead to side effects. The most common side effects associated with clomipramine include a decrease in appetite, vomiting, lethargy or sedation. The veterinary patient may also exhibit a faster than normal heart rate. Cats may be more prone to side effects with clomipramine than dogs.

Don't Make These 5 Cat Care Mistakes - www.catcaremistakes.blogspot.com

#4 kareen

kareen

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

Clomipramine is part of a class of drugs known as tricyclic antidepressants. Be sure to let your veterinarian know of other medications your pet is on or may be taking. Also let your veterinarian know of any environmental changes that may happen around your pet. If a dose of Clomipramine  is missed, the next dose should be given as soon as you remember. If you remember when it is almost time for the next dose, skip the one you missed and get back on your regular schedule. Do NOT double the dosing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users