• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kittykaila9

kittykaila9

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

Looking for a bit of insight before I venture to the Vet.

I have an 8 month old cat who has suddenly developed diarrhoea out of nowhere. I do not change her litter box at the moment as I'm weeks away from having a baby but from what my partner says her faeces have become watery, are browny-yellow in colour but have no odour to them. He also says its small amounts and there was one semi-solid poo (a very soft poo probably) that was small when he cleaned the litter box last night. She is not going to the toilet anymore than she normally would, is drinking as normal and eating as normal and is otherwise her normal, playful and happy self.

A little backstory, a few weeks after we got her from a shelter we discovered she had worms and treated her immediately (despite the paperwork saying she was covered for another few weeks) as well as our other cat and our three dogs. She had diarrhoea at this point which is where we discovered the worms. A little after that we changed her food and she again got diarrhoea but it cleared up almost instantly after we switched her food back to her normal diet.

We have not recently changed her food, she still gets the same food she has always gotten (aside from that one instance) which is the Hills Kitten dry food. We were feeding her some canned wet food as well which she was fine with for a few months but have stopped giving it to her since this new diarrhoea situation. We thought perhaps she'd eaten some of the other cat's food as he gets different food and maybe it had upset her stomach so we have been very vigilant about putting his food away when he is done and watching that she doesn't eat any. Last night I fed her boiled chicken and rice which she loved and she had the same again this morning.

I am just wondering if anyone has some insight or home remedies that we could try before we get her checked out. I have read you can add half a teaspoon of metamucil to their food to firm up their stools but have not tried this yet as I am a bit unsure.

We do plan on taking her to the vet if this continues much longer (it has been 2 days), but it is just a bad two weeks for us financially with a bunch of our bills due this week and next. Obviously if I notice a change in her aside from the diarrhoea (loss of appetite, dehydration, lethargic etc) I will take her to the vets immediately.

Thank you in advance and I apologise for the long winded explanation.

#2 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 2,224 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge & of course cats

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

I  think unsweetened mashed pumpkin can help.  I went searching & came across this.

http://www.catsofaus...ats-kittens.htm

IPB Image

#3 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

She will need worming again, this can vary from a few weeks to a month or more depending on the product, but she will need to be done to ensure all the worms are gone.

Boiled chicken and rice can settle their tummy, dry food can make it worse. I would then work on introducing a higher quality diet than Hills which has poor ingredients. 

#4 kittykaila9

kittykaila9

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

She will need worming again, this can vary from a few weeks to a month or more depending on the product, but she will need to be done to ensure all the worms are gone.

Boiled chicken and rice can settle their tummy, dry food can make it worse. I would then work on introducing a higher quality diet than Hills which has poor ingredients. 

Yes, we only recently wormed her, two weeks ago and we use a monthly treatment so I know she will need to be wormed again. As for food, is there one you would recommend? I'm a bit hesitant on switching her food as the last time we did this she had diarrhoea which didn't subside until we switched her food back but I want what is best for her so if there is a better quality food then I'm willing to give it a go.

Also I would just like to say that we've had 24 hours of no diarrhoea at the moment after feeding her boiled chicken and rice for 2 days. But I also haven't seen a poop from her since the diarrhoea stopped so I'll be keeping an eye on that over the next 24 hours.

I think perhaps she'd eaten something she wasn't supposed to. We keep a small bin on a corner of our bench which we frequently take out but a few days ago it was quite full and hadn't been taken out and I noticed it had been moved as well as a bit of egg shell outside of the bin. She's notorious for climbing on the benches and eating anything she can find up there. Definitely not a fussy cat as she will eat anything and everything in sight.

Thank you for the advice :)

#5 nanakante

nanakante

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:My hobby is playing with my cat

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

I'd go with dry cat food, no milk and don't wait too long to take her to the vet. Small animals go "downhill" fast.

Don't Make These 5 Cat Care Mistakes - www.catcaremistakes.blogspot.com

#6 kareen

kareen

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

Diarrhea in cats can cause sever dehydration if it goes on more than a couple days. Canned pumpkin (without spices) will also help firm up the loose stool symptoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users