Cat meeting catnew cat
Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:31 PM
We are in the process of getting a new kitty.
But not 100% sure how I should introduce the new kitty (Lion) to our baby girl (she is 4 years old and has been with us for 3.5 year, her name is Sassy (She's the best)).
Any good tips?
Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:44 PM
Slowly. Separate them in different parts of the house. Grab a towel & rub it on one then transfer the smell to the other & vice versa, after a few days perhaps let them snif at one another through a door , they may play with each others paws & then gradually introduce them. Make sure they each have their own space to feel safe in
Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:56 AM
The key points to consider when introducing cats are:
- Introduce the existing cat and the new cat in stages – gradually increasing exposure time.
- Keep the new cat in a separate room for about a week so that the existing cat can become accustomed to their smell and presence and the new cat has time to adjust to their new environment.
- This separation and gradual introduction may help to reduce the overall anxiety of the situation and provides a good basis for the development of good relations.
- After the new cat has settled in to their part of the house you can slowly introduce them to the rest of the house by bringing them out for 10 or 15 minutes at a time under your supervision. Eventually they will be confident enough to wander freely around the house and the other cat should be used to them.
- In the initial stages there may be some hissing and tail swishing – but this should settle down after a few days.
- Ensure that the existing cat has an area that they can go to for privacy to get away from the new cat.
- Provide at least two litter trays.
- Allow the cats to eat separately.
- Ensure the existing cat receives a lot of individual attention from you.
- Be aware that it may take some time for a relationship to develop.
Don't Make These 5 Cat Care Mistakes - www.catcaremistakes.blogspot.com
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users