• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 locke_gb7

locke_gb7

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

Siamese Cat and Diabetes For those who are going through similar difficult times, I am writing a log of the health status of our 12yo Female Siamese Cat Tye Dye... It's been the most horrible experience so far and we are not too hopeful, but here's what has happened and been done so far. In the hopes that this log can help in the future. I'll post what happened so far and keep you posted of changes. Saturday November 27 Came home and found Tye Dye our cat in a lot of pain, she screamed tried to go to the box, could not. She Vomited. At that point I took her to the Vet Emergency; X-rays showed that she was extremely constipated. They kept her overnight giving her enemas and trying to flush her out. They got only about half of it. $800 in bills… Sunday November 28 My wife picked her up and when we took it home, it was comatose and felt cold to the touch, she seemed thirsty, and she staggered in my stages to her water, plopped in front of it and stared into the bowl. She managed only a few licks all night of the water. We let her sleep at home hoping she was just tired and she’d be better the next day. Monday November 29 Next morning, no difference, she was even more comatose and colder to the touch. We took her to her regular vet which ran blood tests. Found out that her temperature was 34 degrees and her blood sugar was 27.5, normal being I think around 7-11 blood sugar and 38 temperatures. At this point, is apparent she is diabetic. We left her there over night; they rehydrated her with IV fluid and put her in a warming bed. Tuesday November 30 We went to visit her, temperature was normal; sugar still a little high but that morning they gave her insulin with lowered it. She seemed perkier when we saw her, not that much though. We went back that night, they said she had used the box to pee but would not eat. We brought it some tuna water. We presented it to it but it made her gag, soon after her breathing became rapid and shallow, could have been caused by over hydration or dextrose IV (Her sugar was low at that point). They gave her meds to make her pee and she did, later breathing calmed down a bit. Wednesday December 1 Called, Vet said that she was fairly similar to the day before, blood sugar was average, said she would not eat, we visited her that night, brought her cat treats she goes crazy over, but no response there. She seemed a bit more alert. We left her there overnight and gave them the treats in case she would try later. She did not. Thursday December 2 We went there to visit her in the afternoon, vet said that at this point he is concerned that she is not eating, and that she might do well to go home and get settle and might have a better chance at eating then. We practiced there giving her insulin there before leaving and the vet gave her long lasting antibiotics because she was getting a bit of a urinary tract infection. So we took her home. After she got home she wouldn’t even come out of the carrying case, we forced her out she slept and wouldn’t even look at water. We had to take her to her box for her to even use it that one time that night. She had labored breathing and a heart rate of about 206. Totally comatose with no signs of improvement at all. All we got that day is yet another bill for $900… Friday December 3 We monitored her overnight, she shifted short distances from place to place during the night, morning came, she won’t drink or eat, doesn’t even need the box, probably getting dehydrated. She vomits dark brown vomit. Later we tried force feeding her water but would freak out and back up and twist its head. Breathing and heart rate are still as bad as the day before. We called the vet back and he said to bring her in. We took her back to the vet, will leave her overnight and try giving her drugs to relax her and promote appetite as she is chronically nauseous and tomorrow another to help nausea. The Vet called, said she has fluid besides her lungs likely caused by heart failure. At this point it’s pretty much over and me and my wife don’t know how we’re gonna be happy again… This is not typical of cats with diabetes; she seems to have general organ failure.

#2 feloo

feloo

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

So sorry to hear about your cat.. They can get water in the lungs if they are rehydrated too quickly or are so dehydrated that the drip can cause these problems when they are rehydrated... Cats with diabetes often have constipation, but if you cat normally goes out, there is no way you would know they are constipated! You might also need to have some form of sugar for any collapse, just like humans. warmest regards

#3 locke_gb7

locke_gb7

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

We had to have her put down this morning... ;__; she couldn't breath had diabetes and fluid near her heart, wasn't responding to anything was starving and suffering we had to make the decision and we feel like we cant go on without her, we're so hurt and ridden with sorrow that we might need medical attention. She was irreplaceable, I don't think i can find another cat like her again, she was too aware, would always cuddle with us play with us go out places with us, shared our worst and best times, she was always the one we could always count on for unconditional love. We're getting really ill with sorrow, if anyone could send us tips and advice anything wuld be welcome

#4 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge & of course cats

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

I am so sorry to hear this. Lots of hugs. Fly softly sweet Tye Dye
IPB Image

#5 Beajai

Beajai

New Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

So sorry to read about yours and your cats pain. My thoughts and healing prayers are being sent with this post. I believe that you will need to grieve the same as if you were to lose a child, or other loved one. Give yourself time and permission to feel. I hope you can grow through the pain, and soon have your beautiful memories to bring a smile to your face, if only in between tears.

#6 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

So sorry to hear this about your kitty.  Hugs and prayers are being sent your way.

#7 kareen

kareen

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:09 PM

I'm so sorry about what happen, be strong and remember that your kitty was happy to you in her life.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users