Brown Snake Bite
Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:27 AM
My beautiful, cheeky (and naughty) boy Jackson passed 3 days ago.
He brought back a brown snake. Little did we know he had been bitten. We managed to get the snake off him and kill it. He would have been outside a maximum of 20 minutes before he was howling at the door like he usually does when he has a mouse to give us. We checked him over and he looked fine. No symptoms at all, he scaled the almost 2 metre fence to bring it back then walked inside as if nothing had happened. Was even trying to play with it still whilst we were killing it. We are devastated as he showed no symptoms at all until a few minutes later he slumped onto the floorboards inside. How naive we were. We rushed him to the emergency vet and as it was a Sunday the vet was closed so had to meet us there adding about 10 minutes from when he collapsed to starting treatment. They held oxygen over his face and injected something into his heart. He still had a heart beat by that stage. Another few minutes passed and she asked if we wanted to start the antivenom which we obviously did. By the time she came back and was about to start his heart stopped. Im beyond devastated. Everything I read online suggests that cats can last ages after the bite. I guess what Im asking is has anyone else had this happen so suddenly? And I cant help but feel if the vet had started the antivenom straight away he may have had a chance. I feel so angry at myself and guilty that I thought he was fine. Hed been bitten on the tongue. Sorry for the long, winded post.
Thanks in advance. Xx
Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:40 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss.
Yes, the antivenin can help prevent bleeding disorders. Antivenin can also help reduce the amount of swelling. It is best if antivenin is administered within four to six hours once a pet is bitten. If it has been determined that the cat has been bitten by a venomous snake, the corresponding antivenin should be administered.
Don't Make These 5 Cat Care Mistakes - www.catcaremistakes.blogspot.com
Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:30 AM
It would depend how severely he had been bitten & how toxic the venom - ie how long since the snake had lat used it. I am sorry for your loss.
Thanks for the reply. Im assuming given how quickly he died from when he went outside he must have received either few bites or the entire amount of venom the snake had. Horrible. :(
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users