• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 love.my.cats

love.my.cats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

We live in a very small 3 bedroom house with 4 cats and two children under 3. We've been doing our best to keep the cats and children away from each other but there have been a few scratches and today, the scratch was just a cm from my daughters eye. The cats are indoor cats and have had access to an enclosed area off the house. Hubby and I are now talking an outdoor cat enclosure for them in the yard so they can have their own space and we'll have more peace of mind that the kids won't get hurt. I feel horrible about it as I love the cats but do you think for a year or so, until the girls are a little older and understand it'd be okay to have them in something like this https://www.omlet.co...op/cat_products(biggest one possible with a big wooden cubby inside for some shelter) with access to the laundry of the house somehow?
Any suggestions on how we could do the access? Is there anywhere that sells tunnelling or does anyone have any tips on making some ourselves?

#2 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 2,262 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge & of course cats

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:23 AM

We made our own out of fencing wire which hubby made into a square & clipped together with the little fencing rings

Please ignore the cat grass that had got a bit out of hand

Attached File  165317_479542602466_6725675_n.jpg   112.21KB   2 downloads

Attached File  168071_479542487466_6492025_n.jpg   81.01KB   0 downloads

Attached File  163792_479542387466_3005213_n.jpg   33.43KB   0 downloads

Attached File  167784_479542412466_4743925_n.jpg   61.27KB   0 downloads

This was a chook shed that we modified for them

Attached File  168572_479542707466_6652811_n.jpg   45.33KB   0 downloads

IPB Image

#3 love.my.cats

love.my.cats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

Thank you!
How did you attach the wire to the bottom of the tunnelling - is the bottom wood? What type did you use?

#4 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

I wouldn't keep them outside full time with just laundry access.
Keep the cats claws clipped and teach the children how to properly interact.

There are companies in each state that build enclosures, with tunnels etc. or flat packs you can order.
we have double and triple play pens from Cat Nets, the cats go out for a few hours several times a week.

#5 love.my.cats

love.my.cats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

[quote name="ChocolateDots" post="53419" timestamp="1489199305"]I wouldn't keep them outside full time with just laundry access.
Keep the cats claws clipped and teach the children how to properly interact.
There are companies in each state that build enclosures, with tunnels etc. or flat packs you can order.
we have double and triple play pens from Cat Nets, the cats go out for a few hours several times a week.[/quote]

Cats claws are clipped very regularly and we're trying very hard to teach the girls to be gentle. 9 month olds can be very grabby though and I can't be everywhere at once. If the small space we have wasn't so open plan and we had an area that could be gated off, I'd definitely be doing that but it's just not possible. Having areas that the cats can get to but the small children can't isn't working because two of the cats will sit with, or even approach the kids then once they've had enough of being pat, they'll get mad. I can obviously read their body langiage and speak to the older one about different signs the cats don't want to be pat anymore but again, doesn't go so well with a 9 month old baby unfortunately.

We've had one quote for a cat net enclosure to be built and are getting another two next week. Was just looking into less permanent set ups because this option won't be for a super long time.

#6 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 2,262 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge & of course cats

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:36 AM

No it's just the concrete from the vernadah.  We did put a piece of fibro cement where it goes for the run into the park & the park is built on a concrete base

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users