• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BlueBird

BlueBird

New Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:04 AM

Hi, I am a little confused about what breed of cat to get because originally I was thinking a Burmese but read that it is better to have 2 as they require a lot of attention.

This will be our first indoor cat, our 11yr old dog recently passed away :-(

So if anyone can help with breed selection, that would be great!

Here is some info:

* I have two young boys, school age (5yr and 7yr)

* The cat would be on its own only 3 days a week (approx 8.30am - 3.30pm), I only work 3 days a week. Obviously on the weekends we might go out on Sundays...etc and on my days off I might duck out to the shops...

* It would be an only cat, we really don't want a second cat.

* I would love the cat to be playful, but also love to snuggle on our laps.

* I really don't like the idea of having a lot of hair around on the furniture or clothing, so would prefer a low shedding cat. Am I right in saying that even domestic cats shed quite a bit in comparison to some other breeds?

I really want to choose the right breed, your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

#2 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 2,262 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge & of course cats

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

Firstly it's great to see you doing some research into breeds.  In my opinion each cat is individual & yes may have some characteristics of a breed - ie the Ragdoll flop, but my friend has 2 & they are very different in personality. I have Devons & they don't shed much but they are a very in your face cat & do require a fair bit of attention.  Unless you are completely fixed on having a purebreed I would suggest you try one of the rescue organisations as there are some beautiful cats/kittens looking for a home to call their own.

IPB Image

#3 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:47 PM

Is there a reason you don't want 2? Even moggies enjoy having the company of another kitten.

low shedding breeds tend to be high energy, very social cats that do better with company.

#4 CatOnTheHunt

CatOnTheHunt

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

A really good idea is to visit your local shelters. Usually the shelter will help you choose your cat. they would know the cat's personality and tell you a lot about them. 

#5 SusanHankerson

SusanHankerson

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

I wanted to suggest Maine Coon, because Maines have the best personality I have ever seen, until I reached the final point (cat hairs) :D

#6 JenSTL

JenSTL

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Cats, kids, cooking, and travel, in no particular order.

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:35 AM

I agree with the above posters, I've never gone wrong with a rescue kitten. If you're not superstitious, I recommend a black cat (Bombay). Super friendly and good with kids, I've been told that Bombays are actually happier around people than other animals. It's just hearsay (you can't believe everything you read on the internet, right?), but I've had a half-dozen black cats in my life and they've all been terrific, loving snugglers. They're also not super fluffy.

#7 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

[quote name="JenSTL" post="53560" timestamp="1498750503"]

I agree with the above posters, I've never gone wrong with a rescue kitten. If you're not superstitious, I recommend a black cat (Bombay). Super friendly and good with kids, I've been told that Bombays are actually happier around people than other animals. It's just hearsay (you can't believe everything you read on the internet, right?), but I've had a half-dozen black cats in my life and they've all been terrific, loving snugglers. They're also not super fluffy.[/quote]

Black cats from shelters are "just" moggies, they aren't pedigree Bombay/Mandalay's.

#8 charleycat

charleycat

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

Scottish people consider black cats good luck ;)

#9 kareen

kareen

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

I recommend Birman Cats, The friendly, laidback Birman  is a perfect choice for families with children and cat-friendly dogs. He loves the attention he receives from children who treat him politely and with respect, and he doesn’t mind playing dress-up or going for a ride in a baby buggy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users