3 replies to this topic

#1 Stew

Stew

New Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:47 PM

Hi ,

l recently purchased a kitten for a female friend as a companion.The kitten is a gorgeous female Manx/Ragdoll cross and is now about 4 months old.My friend is in her 70's but very young for her age and loves the kitten dearly but she is constantly getting bitten.I see the kitten often and while she is in most instances quite calm although playfull she has a habit of biting for no obvious reason.My friend does not want to give the kitten up but may have too if she continues to get bitten.She has many bite marks where the kitten drew blood and it is becoming a problem.I appreciate there is no quick fix but is it something they grow out of or is there another issue maybe.

#2 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 2,237 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge & of course cats

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:47 AM

I have attached an article for you to read that I hope might help.  There is nothing better than pets for  any-one (especially the more elderly - not that the  70's is old by my standards) so I do hope it can be sorted

http://www.catsofaus...sive-kitten.htm

IPB Image

#3 alterkat

alterkat

New Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

I had a kitten that bit, I always used a toy to play with her, never my hands. I bought a "da bird" wand toy (cheaper wand toys will work as well) and played with her with it, very few kittens can resist them. Playing with her for about 10 minutes would tire her out, I'd give her a rest for a few minutes and then play with her for another 10. Cats are sprinters rather than marathon runners so two short play sessions will be more than enough, she'll be ready to eat and then sleep. 

Another thing great thing I bought was a Kong Wubba for kittens (again, any soft toy that the kitten can chew would be fine). Your friend can may wish to keep it close, and when the kitten becomes aggressive, distract it with the toy. My cat loved hers and would carry it around from room to room, bite it, bunny kick it and even sleep with it. 

I have tried the method where, where when the kitten bites you tell it "No" in a firm voice (or hiss) and walk away, as the mother cat does. Kittens have very short short-term memories, your friend only needs to ignore her for a few minutes. I had limited success with this method only because you have to be consistent or else it won't work. Unfortunately, my partner wouldn't come to the party  and tended to let her get away with it. The good news is that she did grow out of it, I think by the time she was about 8 or 9 months old? 

I would not encourage your friend to grab her by the scruff of the neck or raise your voice, I've read that this method is going out of fashion with behaviourists as it makes the kitten scared of you and quite possibly more aggressive.  

#4 nanakante

nanakante

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:My hobby is playing with my cat

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

I had a kitten like that who grew up into a very big cat and never stopped biting me. I eventually had to give him away because he was attacking people all of the time. You absolutely need to teach your kitten not to bite. When he starts biting hold his mouth closed and hold his body so he cant scratch you. Hold him in this position until he submits and stops trying to squirm and bite/scratch. He will get the idea after a while.

Don't Make These 5 Cat Care Mistakes - www.catcaremistakes.blogspot.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users