• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wyatt

wyatt

New Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:05 AM

My 6 month old ragdoll kitten has what the vet calls acne. Has anyone had this problem? what do i do? he has been on antibiotics and it cleared up but came back as soon as he was finished taking them. i have changed bowls, food and liter. nothing is working. i clean it with proxide like the vet instructed every nite. worst is my vet will not fix him untill they can figure out what is going on, they even want to do a biopsy which is really freaking me out. if anyone has any insite on this i would love to hear from you. thanks

#2 BJinOZ

BJinOZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

You said you have changed bowls, but are they glass or stainless steel? Both of those are good for feline acne. Also, clean the edges of the bowls thoroughly each day when you wash them. Wiping the chin with a warm cloth straight after eating may help. You can use a product called malaseb to wash the cats, it's an anti-bacterial wash for cats that helps to reduce the oils produced. You may need to use this routinely on your cat if you find that it keeps coming back, usually once a week is enough after it's been cleared up.

#3 sarahconley

sarahconley

Slave

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

My Niobe gets it. I have switched to metal bowls. The vet gave me a cream with steroids in it and it has really cleaned it up. She has little patches now and then but not as bad as it was. I had a look on the net and there are some natural products you can use that may help. I haven't tried them yet. I have found cleaning her chin with a warm washer after she has had her dinner helps too.
Sarah

#4 wyatt

wyatt

New Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:28 AM

i use glass for the regular food and then he gets wet food once a day in stainless steele. i clean the bowls everyday too. where can you get that product you menchoined? thanks for responding i am so upset about this i feel so bad and we have been spending so much money at the vet.

#5 sarahconley

sarahconley

Slave

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:12 PM

Hi, There is a company online called Natural Paws they are WA based and another called Holistic Animal Medicine. I found them through a google search. I also found this remedy which I have not tried. I don't know what colloidal silver is so didn't really want to use it on my little one without having researched it first. Rub on the acne Castor oil once daily which will stimulate the clogged pores to pop! Leave on for 12 hours. Then wash the area with a combination of cool chamomile tea, organic cider vinegar & colloidal silver in equal amounts. All these products are available at the health food store. The castor oil can be obtained from your chemist. Castor oil is a purgative so don't slap on a large amount just a little bit & rub in well. The cream the vet gave me is called Ilium Neocort which is basically a hydrocortisone acetate so you can only use it for 14 days. Hope this helps, Sarah
Sarah

#6 wyatt

wyatt

New Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:29 AM

thanks sarah! i will check those out.

#7 BJinOZ

BJinOZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:25 PM

You may be able to get Malaseb at some petstores and there are some online shops you can get it through mail order.

#8 raggiesrule

raggiesrule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:38 PM

Good old warm salty water bathing works very well at cleaning the problem up dry the chin well afterwards. I find this works well. A chlorhexidine scrub is also effective. Goodluck Jo

#9 wyatt

wyatt

New Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:19 AM

Well i took my little wyatt to the vet again yesterday, he got another shot of cortizone and the vet said this acne is an allergy. she said its really hard to control a cats allegerys and he may continually get these break outs throughout his life! he also had an eye infection, he just got over an ear infection! the vet tells me that purebreeds just seem to have more allergies. I feel so bad for my little buddy!

#10 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:43 AM

Poor baby ..but I'd just keep cleaning up his chin regularly ..I had a silver tabby girl who had acne for all of her life and she lived to 19. I just cleaned her chin for her ..and it NEVER got nasty ..just stayed visible but not painful or infected for her ..it's our job!
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users