• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 murph07

murph07

New Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:41 AM

i hav a bengal cat about 6 months old. He uses the kitty litter which is cleaned daily ,however intermitently he uses a cupboard or under a chair to pooo. it's driving us crazy as he uses the litter most times. ANY ideas please i'm desperate as i dont want to have to re-home him if i cant fix this problem regards dave

#2 Bosco

Bosco

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Interests:Registered breeder with NSWCFA of British Shorthair.

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(murph07 @ Oct 1 2005, 09:41 AM)
i hav a bengal cat about 6 months old. He uses the kitty litter which is cleaned daily ,however intermitently he uses a cupboard or under a chair to pooo. it's driving us crazy as he uses the litter most times. ANY ideas please i'm desperate as i dont want to have to re-home him if i cant fix this problem regards dave
[snapback]1413[/snapback]
Try to keep him out of the cupboard. Is he new, or have you had him for a while? If he has been with you for a while it may be a behavioural response to something - has anything new happened or changed recently? You may want to confine him to a small area with his litter tray and food/water etc and make sure he is using it consistently before allowing him access to other parts of the house - going back to basics often helps! Also you may try using Biozet to clean the area where he has been eliminiating the smell and making it less appealing for him to go there again. Hope this helps :)

#3 davet

davet

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:47 AM

try putting a couplle more liter trays out and then as time goes on move them closer to where you want them to be and consolidate them into one tray...

#4 Birmans

Birmans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Birman Cats<br /><br />

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:12 AM

That Bio Zed is fantastic stuff for getting rid of the smells thats for sure!! I used to pay a fortune for the urine off spray but that works just as well and its loads cheaper.

#5 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:53 AM

Actually I am a Bio Zet convert as well and now use if for my own washing.....you can also get a liquid version which is easier to apply. I have recently bought two packs - saving $8 - watch out for specials they happen from time to time.

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:32 AM

Hi Dave,sorry he's giving you such a hard time, Bengals are very smart and very easy to train but they have long memories.I take it he was using the tray properly in the past, there is a few things you can try. 1/ limit his access to a smaller area of your house perhapr just your living areas. 2/ clean anywere that he's done his business throuroly with bio-zet wash powder 3/place a small cup of water or dry food in the spots that he has been going.He won't poop or wee near his food/water 4/ give him a couple more choices of litter tray positions and types of litter You'll have to be vigilent in watching him to make sure he doesn't pick another spot.I forgot to ask, is he desexed? If not that could well be your problem as at 6 months all his hormones would be kicking in. all the best, let us know how you go.

#7 Zoe

Zoe

Forum Owner

• Admin
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:25 PM

Hi Davet, Glad you managed to work out these new fangled forums :P ... It's great to see you here and posting! Welcome aboard. For those of you who don't know Davet, he is a retired vet with a wealth of knowledge. He posts on dogchat but I persuaded him to come over here and take look. Keep up the good work Davet.

#8 Doreen

Doreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:38 PM

I agree with Davet, sometimes cats want a different tray to do their poos in, so try putting in another tray or two and see if that helps, and eventually maybe you can stick to two trays only. Good luck. Let us know how you go.
IPB Image
Mitsi (Ragdoll) and Harley (Calico moggie)

#9 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:07 PM

Ooh goodie DaVet has arrived over here as well - your advice is always spot on....nice to have a resident vet. The advice given is all worth trying out. I am currently working on a tortie girl who has decided to poop outside the litter box - have not cracked it yet.

#10 luvcats

luvcats

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:42 PM

Hi I had the same problem I put a litter tray in the kitchen and in the bathroom where he was pooing and I clean the area with urine off it gets rid of the smell its great and afficiant. Next time he went to do it again and couln't smell where he had been, so he went in the litter tray. After a couple of days when he used the extra trays. I took them away and left one in the laundry he got the idea that he hadto poo and wee there and not anywhere else!! fingers crossed good luck. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users