• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 catmax

catmax

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hello ... just wondering if anyone out there has faced anything similar. My twelve year-old cat refuses to eat and is getting thinner by the day. We've tried all kinds of food ranging from sausage, fish meat, milk, rice but all it does is sniff at the food and then meow back at us rather pitifully. I know it sounds weird but it even refuses meat. We've taken it to the vet ... he says that our cat is not sick. It is getting old ... lost all its teeth (how did this happen?) ... and that was the reason as to why it refused to eat. It's so thin that it could squeeze through the window sills. Our cat is a tri-colored cat, female and spayed. Looking for a solution ... Would be grateful for any help that I can get. Catmax

#2 Clan Chattan

Clan Chattan

Alex's Mum

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

Your dear cat is not well,you should take her to a different vet for a second opinion.Is she drinking an excessive amount of water? and passing a lot of urine? She need her renal function tested,glucose levels etc. If she has no teeth she still may have tooth fragments below the gum line causing pain and infection and difficulty eating. Her weight loss needs investigating. it is such a worry when our cats are not well,get her checked again ASAP. Keep us updated on how she is progressing and how you are coping.We all worry about our mogs and want the best for them. I was told several years ago that my cat was not sick just getting old,he was around 12 at the time,got a further consultation.He had a nasty sinus abscess and one in his jaw,he was a sick boy.I think we all have a know when something is not right as we see our cats changed habits a behaviour. Cheers Elaine and Alex Siamese
IPB Image

#3 Kashmir and Jasmine

Kashmir and Jasmine

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:33 AM

I am with Clan Chatan - Another opinion fast! Kisses from us.
Kashmir Hippy Puss , Jasmine Devil Cat and Cherie

#4 catmax

catmax

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:32 PM

My cat did get better for awhile after we fed it ... tuna :jj: . Then it disappeared and has not been seen since by anyone ... gone missing for more than a week ... :x:

#5 oreokat

oreokat

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

i am so sorry to hear that, when my cats do not eat the walk away and i can never find them again, But if their a small baby all u have to do is stroke their neck up and down it usually works, i was able to keep kittens a week born after their mom had them and they turned out healthy in the end sorry about ur loss he may come back u never know even if he is old he is still ur baby.

#6 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Liberating batch-house cats. Opening the wire doors and letting them run wild.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:44 PM

Hi all! My cat is suffering from the same problem. My vet thinks it's nephritis... deterioration in kidney function due to age. She was at the vets for two days on a protein drip. Also had a course of antibiotics. Nothing helped. The blood test showed no FIV (feline AIDs) or cancer. What it showed is an elevated white blood cell count. The urine test result comes in today. I have Pepsi at home now. She won't eat, and has been losing weight steadily over the past few days. I'm not hopeful. Regards, Herbert

#7 Mutare

Mutare

Ann Marie Clayton

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Cats, cats &amp; more cats<br />My volunteer work at Sippy Creek Animal Refuge (with the cats, of course)<br />Animal welfare<br />Reading with a passion<br />Nature walks<br />Gardening<br />Dancing (Latin, Jive)<br />Travel (especially to Italy)

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

I see that this is an old post...... what eventually happened? Cheers, Mutare :wub:

#8 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Liberating batch-house cats. Opening the wire doors and letting them run wild.

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

I hope things turned out okay Catmax. For myself, I'm happy to report that Pepsi-Pooh at last began to eat her food! I had (almost) resigned myself to losing her. She became just a bag of bones, as light as a feather. I've been living alone with Pepsi for 10 years, so we really are bonded to each other. We've shared thousands of playful moments together over the years. Last year I lost my wonderful cat Pinky to feline AIDs. Pretty devastating. Had him for 13 years, and what a feisty little personality he had. Very head-strong, but would occasionally go mushy with me. He was a beautiful all-white Norwegian Forest Cat. What seems to have started Pepsi eating again was a course of anti-inflammatory tablets given to me by the vet. When she started eating again it was like witnessing a miracle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users