• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Enerjex

Enerjex

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:27 PM

Hi all, our 7 month old kitten just got desexed today and we got one of those stupid plastic cones so she doesn't attack her stitches. Problem is we can't get it on her and have it stay on. I don't know if there are different types but it's basically a clear plastic cone with 3 loops at the bottom that you thread the collar through. When we first got her back we got it on about 3 times but she just started screeching and rolling around until she got it off. We gave it a break for a while but when we tried again we couldn't even get it on her she was that distraught about it. Are there any alternatives/techniques other than the cone to stop them licking and biting at their stitches? :j:

#2 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 1,962 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge & of course cats

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:03 AM

I'm sorry, I've never had to use one, so I have no advice, but welcome to COA
IPB Image

#3 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

Let your vet know ..they may have a better idea...BUT it is only for a week or so ...you may have to be tough ..sigh ...
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

#4 Akasha

Akasha

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

I had the same problem, but when I had a lady come over to do a check on Salem after she was fixed she showed me how to put it on. I can`t remember exactly now as it was a while ago, but I remember her threading Salems collar through the holes of the plastic before putting it on over her head and then tightening the plastic cone through the tightening the collar. Not sure if that all makes sence but it was a while ago and thats all I remember.
IPB Image

#5 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

Does she really need it? Majority of cats will leave their stitches alone - why not try watching her for a while...you can also get a floppy collar that is more comfortable to wear.

#6 Land Hermie

Land Hermie

New Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Hermit crabs, cats, guinea pigs, Internet...

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

Do all vets make you use cones when you get your cat fixed? I think Sandy might be fixed already, because she hasn't went into heat, and my mom thinks she's 8 months old, and her face is no longer a kitten face.

#7 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:04 PM

No not all cats need a cone ..but some cats pull at the stitches. How long have you had Sandy and what sort of cat is she ...?

#8 Akasha

Akasha

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:35 AM

I only needed the cone with Salem, Venus and Ariel didn`t need it but Salem would just not leave the stitches allone. I felt sorry for her seeing her walk around with the cone on her head but it needed to be done.
IPB Image

#9 Enerjex

Enerjex

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:57 PM

She's been pretty good in general, she licked them a bit to start with but never really bit at them, however just today I've discovered that one of the stitches has come undone but the thread is still in there and she hasnt been going at it. It's been 7 days and I have to book her in to get them removed at 10 days, should I take her in before that to get it redone up, can I just retie it myself, or is it ok just to wait until the 10 days as there's no evidence that hte wound is coming apart (it's only about 1.5 cm long with 3 stitches in it).

#10 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:33 PM

This may not be the BEST advice but I'd watch and wait ...as a person I have pulled my own stitches out early ..as long as the wound is closed and healing ..I think you'll be right ... To be absolutely sure ..ring your vet and ask .

#11 kiska

kiska

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:arts, design, dancing, gym, outdoor, cinema, friends... life! I have 14 months old blue point female Balinese indoor cat Lou-Lou and a new 9 weeks old blue point Birman kitten Yuki. Love all animals but strongly prefer cats of all sizes! :-)

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

Yeah, we had that thing on.. it lasted 5 seconds and stiches healed perfectly without it ;-)
IPB Image
k i s s k a

#12 tisha

tisha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Showing and breeding Russian Blue and Black cats. But more importantly, spending quality time with them. <br />I am a seasonal seal watch volunteer when Henry the elephant seal is here.<br />I also try to find time to do a bit of research in relation to cat health and well-being.<br />And over summer, I love to go and watch sprintcars.

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(Land Hermie @ Jun 24 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]31090[/snapback]
Do all vets make you use cones when you get your cat fixed? I think Sandy might be fixed already, because she hasn't went into heat, and my mom thinks she's 8 months old, and her face is no longer a kitten face.
Check your kitty's ears. If she has been desexed there will be a tatoo in the ear. That will tell you for sure.

Lydia
Amesha Russians

#13 Rislani

Rislani

Siamese Nutter

• Members
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(Heather Sharada @ Jun 22 2007, 11:06 PM) [snapback]31046[/snapback]
Does she really need it? Majority of cats will leave their stitches alone - why not try watching her for a while...you can also get a floppy collar that is more comfortable to wear.
I agree with Heather. Does she really need it? I have recently had 2 girl's desexed & so far they haven't touched their stitches to even LICK the area!

#14 jeole

jeole

New Poster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:50 AM

My mother's vet told them to take their female cat back to them after only SEVEN days to get the stitches taken out, so maybe it will be OK. maybe you dont need 10 full days.

#15 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:07 AM

I think if it is as you describe you have no problems - they will take the stitches out between 8 and 10 days and a loose stitch is fine until then if she is not obviously gnawing at herself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users