• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 justcat

justcat

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:21 AM

Hi. my name is Cathy. In a couple of weeks I am adopting a little Bengal cat. The more research that I do regarding catfood, the more confused I get.. Help!! I need some advice. I want little " Tyie" to get the best. :unsure:

#2 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:33 AM

The breeder will be feeding your baby a particular food ..it is best to stick to that at first , if you want to change you need to gradually add a little of the new food.
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

#3 justcat

justcat

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:11 AM

:mellow: Tyie has arrived, 3 days ago. This 12 week old Bengal, sure is not the strong silent type, he hasn't stopped talking since I brought him home. He has claimed a small corner of the livingroom for himself, as of yet he will only play with toys in the 8' area. If they roll past this invisable line, he does some hollering until you put them back into range. lol.. me thinks he is already, King. But he is ohhhh soooooooo cute.

#4 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:44 AM

Aww that is sooo cute ...love his demarkation line...
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

#5 maha11

maha11

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

Cats definitely all have their own personalities. They do what they want when they want, and cats do sleep and average of 23 hours a day, so it really could be that your cat is lazy. Of course the cat is going to want your food, most cats do but if you want to know if your cat really does like you here are a couple of things to watch out for: 1) When cats will casually show you their stomach, it means that they trust you, feel safe around you, and generally like you. 2) When cats lick you it means that they like you, sometimes it could be that your hands smell like food, but my cat always licks me even in the morning before I've eaten anything. Your cat probably likes you, she might just not be a cuddly or playful cat. :) ===================

#6 kata

kata

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

:a: Tyie sounds a real character- sounds as if you are early learning that he trains you and not the other way round- hee hee. Do post some piccies for us!and enjoy your new friend....

#7 dnlangela

dnlangela

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

Yes, I am agree with you, I was also adopted a little Bengal cat. Very hard to manage its foods and everything, it is too much lazy. It needs 23 hours a day minimum for sleeping, I am giving food by hand like bread, fishes and rice.
No advertising permitted

#8 cherylfoster

cherylfoster

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

Cat food for the consumption of cat food. Like all species, cats have special dietary requirements of nutrients, not ingredients. Of some nutrients, such as many vitamins and amino acids, which reduce temperatures, pressures and chemical treatments used during the manufacturing process and therefore should be added after production to avoid nutritional deficiencies.

#9 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Hello Cathy, If it doesn't look like meat, don't feed it. The most natural food for cats is raw meat and fish, possibly with some milk and eggs. All the expensive minced pastes and bisquits are just marketing gags. Cats are meateaters - carnivores, not bisquit eaters. Its as simple as that. :s:
Breeder of Russian Blues and Whites in SA

#10 CatMummy

CatMummy

Mummy to Snowy and Xena

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hi, I am on a disability pension so my health and finances are limited... I need to buy good, cheap and no fuss food for my 2 cats. Presently, I am feeding them a combination of Kit E Kat cans or Whiskas cans at night- quarter a can each because they waste it otherwise. In the morning I feed them either Friskies dry food or Whiskas dry food. I have some dry food in a dispenser bowl for if I am out and snacks. They won't eat meat or fish unless it is in a can... Can someone please tell me if these are the best/cheapest I can give them? I do want them to thrive and they seem to be very healthy... thanks for any advice...
Cats were worshiped as gods in ancient Egypt: they have never forgotten this!
I guess that's why they say dogs have owners: cats have staff!

#11 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi there - you might get more replies if you post under cat chat forum. Best and cheapest don't always go in the same sentence sadly - The foods you mention are of a lower quality than some that I would recommend as they are supermarket Foods and often they are filled with grains and cereals that are not so good for cats that are obligate carnivores. I would be buying now and then a good quality dry food like Royal Canin and Science diet and mixing some of the cheaper food in with it. They will eat less of the good quality food but it is better for them. Can I suggest that at night you share one small can of Fancy Feast between them and if you can afford it go for the dry mix as mentioned above or Optimum Dry food or Advance as it is one of the premium foods - although at the lower scale...also have you ever purchased human grade beef stir fry strips - you can get those marked down after the weekend and they only need a couple of strips once or twice a week - cut it up to start with. Many cats will not eat pet food meat as it is laced with preservative....human grade is not. I am on a pension as well and it is a bit of a juggle. Sounds like they are doing well on what you feed them but from a health point of view they are better to eat as carnivores...many feel that Whiskas are addictive because of what they use int he sauces and it is evident by the stool they pass - odour and consistency that it is not the best.

#12 KarmaShaman

KarmaShaman

New Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

So is the Hills Science Diet really a whole lot better or just a marketing ploy based around a lot of vet sponsorships? I mean, every cat food tells us on the box how wonderful and nutritionally balanced their product is. My new boy is on the Hills dry food at the moment, and while I could probably have no issue with keeping him on this, it's not exactly something I can pop up to the local supermarket for. While on the topic, what's going on with Purina Supercoat ? Both previous cats in my household (no longer here) have been occasionally exposed to this dry food and they just won't stop eating it, with ask for more after a large serve, and take a long time to ween off it when mixing down gradually to another food. I think their formula is TOO tasty.

#13 CatMummy

CatMummy

Mummy to Snowy and Xena

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thank you for your advice... I will budget in Hills Science cat food to mix in with the cheaper stuff. I also will try them on the beef stir fry strips...
Cats were worshiped as gods in ancient Egypt: they have never forgotten this!
I guess that's why they say dogs have owners: cats have staff!

#14 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

People that make cat food don't make it for the healthiest combination generally and yes they do lace it with tasty substances....when you buy a dry food look at the ingredients and try for one that has less cereal - particularly corn - have a look at this list and guide to reading cat food labels http://pets.webmd.co...cat-food-labels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users