Cat Chat Home Page

Cat Information Cat Breeds and Pictures  Cat Breeder's Listings
Post worm treatment : I'm seeing worms for the first time - Cat Health - Cat Forums Australia

Photo

Post worm treatment : I'm seeing worms for the first time

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 daisy

daisy

New Poster

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:I love cats, in particular Maine Coons! <br />

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

Hi All, We have no complaints about worms - infact, we didnt even know we had to worm the cat regularly. But when we took our 5 month old kitten to the vet she recommended regular worming as a general practice. Even though I have never seen worms in his stools when cleaning out the litter tray - I still gave the worm treatment recommended by the vet. We gave Profender worming treatment to give to our indoor cat about 2 days ago (this is a topical treatment on the back of his neck). Just then I cleaned up the litter tray and saw a big long skinny worm in one of the stools. 1. Is it common after worming to see worms in stools - even if you have never seen them there before? 2. I read that humans can get worms too from animals - should we also take some anti worm treatment? I suspect it is killing the worms and he is passing it now. I was kinda freaked out, so i cant remember if it was moving - i don't think it was though! Thanks Daisy

#2 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

Yup after you worm them you see them being passed. You don't need to worm yourselves but sensible hygiene procedures will make sure kitty isn't reinfected ..So clean bedding etc, to prevent eggs being ingested. Washing hands well before eating and after cleaning litter trays etc..
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

#3 daisy

daisy

New Poster

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:I love cats, in particular Maine Coons! <br />

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:57 AM

Thanks so much! My baby kitty is doing good - and also his appetite has increased in the way that he isn't walking away from his food as much.

#4 Puffball

Puffball

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:59 AM

When I firsy got my kitty I wormed her and a few days later she jumped up on my lap after using her litter tray and I couldn't help but notice the nasty cat pooh smell coming from her. This is not that uncommon with long haired cats as clumps of pooh can occasionally get stuck on their excusively furry rear ends so I scooped her up and took her off for a clean up. Yuk! As I attemped to remove the cling on I discovered it was attached to a dead tape worm she had semi passed and was still half inside her, I had to pull the rest out (poor wee baby squeeled but it had to be done). If anyone had told me prior to getting a cat this might happen I may have thought again, but strangely it did not bother me, I was only concerned for her. Though some friends went slightly green when I told them about it :signlol:
IPB Image

#5 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

It's amazing what you'll do for your furbaby ...grin ..
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

#6 happimint

happimint

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

I don't think I can pull the worm out of my cat's bum but I sure can make my husband do it. That's what marriage is about. He is the muscle and I supervise. It works well so far. I am a bit squeamish though.

#7 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

I have never seen a worm from any cat or kitten that I have here - nor a flea - we did the routine Revolution treatment once or twice a year and nothing..... In the days whenb I used to breed dogs...OMGosh the round worms those puppies used to expell after a worming dose....but this was pre Revolution spot on.... Now and then I do worm myself as my hygiene is not that great.......will often eat after handling cats and forget to wash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users