• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 jessicamonde

jessicamonde

New Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

The 'coincidental' male cat-owner can always 'save face' and retain his macho credentials by telling his footy mates that the cat belongs to his wife/daughter/housekeeper - and that he himself regards the creature as an unwanted nuisance that he tolerates only because of the girls in his family

#32 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Liberating batch-house cats. Opening the wire doors and letting them run wild.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(Mattyb @ Sep 13 2011, 11:44 PM) [snapback]41245[/snapback]
I think that's the problem, i have 1 fantastic Ragdoll, now i want another one.
I know how you feel. I bought a Chinese cat once, and half an hour later I felt like buying another one. :lol:

#33 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Liberating batch-house cats. Opening the wire doors and letting them run wild.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE(Kitah @ Nov 3 2011, 10:47 PM) [snapback]41965[/snapback]
I need to find a self confessed, cat loving guy- I don't know many others that could handle my four furrballs lol
Well... I'm a single-male, cat-loving guy (not self-confessed: I live in a tough, dog-owning neighbourhood - they had to beat it out of me)... and I'm available for handling any furry things you'd like to offer me... IPB Image

#34 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

...Herbert you old dog, you!!! :angelic: :lol:

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

When God Created the Ragdoll Cat....He was Just Showing Off!!

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia
Visit Furrballz Ragdolls at Home!

#35 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE(Furrballz @ Nov 4 2011, 08:57 AM) [snapback]41970[/snapback]
...Herbert you old dog, you!!! :angelic: :lol:
IPB Image

#36 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Kitah @ Nov 4 2011, 03:22 PM) [snapback]41972[/snapback]
Sorry Herbert, you don't qualify then! :sneaky: must be self confessed :smile:
IPB Image O woe is me! IPB Image

#37 Guest_OldTom_*

Guest_OldTom_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(Herbert @ Nov 3 2011, 09:15 PM) [snapback]41963[/snapback]
I know how you feel. I bought a Chinese cat once, and half an hour later I felt like buying another one. :lol:
Oh, that's just terrible... :signgiggle:
QUOTE(Kitah @ Nov 3 2011, 10:47 PM) [snapback]41965[/snapback]
I need to find a self confessed, cat loving guy- I don't know many others that could handle my four furrballs lol
I hear you sister.... They're few and far between.

#38 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:40 AM

Five pussies in the bed is just too much for any normal man to handle. :lol:

#39 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:02 AM

Cats in the bedroom - that's a subject all of its own. I brought my sibling kittens home 8 months ago, and for the past month or so they no longer like to sleep on the bed with me. Same with sitting on the lounge in the evenings with me - they don't do this anymore. They'll lie around at a little distance from me either on the floor or on the mobile platform that I have for them in the lounge-room (and which they love). It's a bit disappointing. There's a feeling of being rejected by them, but of course it's only that they are weaning themselves off me as Nature intended that they should. They otherwise are very friendly and approachable. It's just that they like their own 'space' now. Part of the problem is that they are not 'family pets' or 'house-cats'. As I live alone, they are semi-feral cats that think of me as the 'parent cat' - and will run and hide if anyone comes up the driveway. Even when my niece visits me, they will hide until she goes. I've noticed that most people are not aware of the fact that cats which live with someone who lives alone are in no way to be confused with cats that live within the bosom of a family. Chalk and cheese. They are a totally different feline phenomenon. My local vet simply cannot get her head around this. She doesn't understand that the worse thing for any of my cats is to be kept overnight at the clinic after an operation. Being semi-feral, my cats having to stay in a room with caged dogs and cats is a terrifying and stressful experience. Just last week I had to insist with the vet that I bring my cat home rather than leave it overnight.

#40 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE(Kitah @ Nov 9 2011, 01:26 PM) [snapback]41996[/snapback]
Plus during the 'crazy cat half hours' throughout the early hours of the morning they generally think that my toes are some possessed monster that need prompt killing through the sheet/blankets...
:jj: (My Gizmo has read this over my shoulder, and is going ... :lol: ) Well, Kitah - you belong to a sub-branch of the sole-resident cat-owning society: The Indoor Cats Sub-Branch. Are your cats fully fed? Do you keep them 'topped-up' with dry biscuits in bowls that are always available to them? The only time I'm popular with my cats is at feeding time. And then in the early morning I'm often rudely awakened by Gizmo gnawing on my leg, or jumping upon my slumbering body from a great height. :jj:

#41 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(Kitah @ Nov 9 2011, 12:26 PM) [snapback]41996[/snapback]
Plus during the 'crazy cat half hours' throughout the early hours of the morning they generally think that my toes are some possessed monster that need prompt killing through the sheet/blankets...
Oh dear ..are you talking about MY house too??? At approximately 4 am..a certain foolish coonie arrives on the bed ..with the toy of his choice, at the moment it is a feather and sparkly wand which I NEED poked at various parts of my anatomy until I decide to wave it at him /for him ..sigh .. Often the toy is accompanied by one or two live cockroaches ...which are then assaulted as they try desperately to escape .. The official name for these toe monsters is "bed mice"...lolol
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

#42 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

I solved the 'bed mice' problem by painting my toes yellow and letting the nails grow a couple of inches so they look like giant bees.

#43 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(Kitah @ Nov 9 2011, 03:14 PM) [snapback]42001[/snapback]
Haha I'm sure that'd be a fantastic new fashion statement, too! Any tips to also stop getting headbutted by a purring fluffy feline? or being able to move without requiring too much yoga training prior? tehehe :jj:
:jj: I don't get headbutted by Gizmo or Muffin (yet) - they're probably too young, but I do get the long, unwavering stare from Gizmo. He'll jump up onto the telescopic mobile cat-stand in the lounge-room (it's on castors) - and then glare at me for loooong minutes while I'm tapping away on the computer. He knows that I know he's staring at me (in silent demand for a trick-or-treat)... and then, when I finally deign to turn and look at him - he'll suddenly drop his eyelids and look at me through squinty slits where his eyes should be... (Cracks me up every time!) Me being the Top Cat here, Gizmo never looks at me directly with anything other than self-effacing, submissive, kowtowing, half-opened eyes. His sister Muffin is totally different. She's still the 'baby', and meows at me to pick her up and fuss with her.

#44 Mylazysundays

Mylazysundays

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Yes i love my cat, like all animals in general (so my loved cat is confined to the indoors!!). ♥

#45 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(Mylazysundays @ Nov 26 2011, 06:00 PM) [snapback]42155[/snapback]
Yes i love my cat, like all animals in general (so my loved cat is confined to the indoors!!). ♥
Do you pick them up and poop them out the window to save on kitty litter? (I'm only joking - I think) I've just had to spend $25 on some more kitty litter - for two cats. They come and go from the house during the day, but after 'lockup' at night they have to 'go' somewhere. I've been using my garden's pine needles for kitty litter, but that has all been drenched by three days of rain now.

#46 Mylazysundays

Mylazysundays

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

No need to save on kitty litter... if it got to the point i had to try to skimp on the basics i think i would be considering re-homing my little feline buddy. :c: ... for her best interests :(

#47 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(Mylazysundays @ Nov 26 2011, 06:42 PM) [snapback]42159[/snapback]
No need to save on kitty litter... if it got to the point i had to try to skimp on the basics i think i would be considering re-homing my little feline buddy. :c: ... for her best interests :(
It's time they sold cheap newspaper shredders in the pet shops to be used as kitty litter. :evil:

#48 Mylazysundays

Mylazysundays

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

I like your thinking! e.e maybe even a hand powered shredder, save on power.

#49 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(Mylazysundays @ Nov 27 2011, 08:33 PM) [snapback]42171[/snapback]
I like your thinking! e.e maybe even a hand powered shredder, save on power.
Yes! You mean one with a crank-handle that you rotate as you push the Sunday Tele through the slot? Orrrrrr... how about tossing a newspaper into the empty bath ... and then releasing a small mouse into the bath... and letting your cat(s) try to catch it? The newspaper would soon be shredded by their claws!

#50 Mylazysundays

Mylazysundays

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(Herbert @ Nov 27 2011, 09:23 PM) [snapback]42174[/snapback]
Yes! You mean one with a crank-handle that you rotate as you push the Sunday Tele through the slot?
Yeah, this one.
QUOTE(Herbert @ Nov 27 2011, 09:23 PM) [snapback]42174[/snapback]
Orrrrrr... how about tossing a newspaper into the empty bath ... and then releasing a small mouse into the bath... and letting your cat(s) try to catch it? The newspaper would soon be shredded by their claws!
No.. i did not think of this... i kind of like mice e.e

#51 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(Mylazysundays @ Nov 29 2011, 12:04 AM) [snapback]42197[/snapback]
Yeah, this one. No.. i did not think of this... i kind of like mice e.e
Me too. I wouldn't do it. Maybe a toy wind-up mouse. Or a funnel-web spider from the backyard wood-shed.

#52 Cellisimo

Cellisimo

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

I love my Burmese babies! Mum hates it when I call them 'my girls' or 'my babies' and begins to pester me about getting married and having real children!

#53 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Cellisimo @ Dec 1 2011, 04:10 PM) [snapback]42252[/snapback]
I love my Burmese babies! Mum hates it when I call them 'my girls' or 'my babies' and begins to pester me about getting married and having real children!
:jj: But they ARE real children!! They're Furkidz!! I'd love a Burmese myself. They're at the top of the domestic feline food-chain: very bright --- and they talk! I miss my Bombay cat (half-Burmese, I believe) who used to make a lot of different sounds to let me know how she was feeling and what she wanted.

#54 sher

sher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

My Dad is a self-confessed cat man, unfortunately now they live in an over 50`s resort style living place that only allows dogs... go figure...So Dad comes to my place for his cat fix.

#55 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(sher @ Jan 14 2012, 05:24 PM) [snapback]42749[/snapback]
My Dad is a self-confessed cat man, unfortunately now they live in an over 50`s resort style living place that only allows dogs... go figure...So Dad comes to my place for his cat fix.
:jj: The resort should allow the Oldies to keep batch-house cats that are caged and unable to get up to any mischief with the neighbours.

#56 catsmyth

catsmyth

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm a guy and I love my cat, I think he's hilarious!!

#57 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(catsmyth @ Feb 2 2012, 10:34 AM) [snapback]43019[/snapback]
I'm a guy and I love my cat, I think he's hilarious!!
It's funny you should say that. I've just been thinking the same this last week. I've got two of these furry clowns - siblings from the same litter. Every night before bedtime they chase each other around the house like their pants are on fire. First, he chases her all over the place for 5 minutes... and then it's her turn to chase him all over the furniture and in every room of the house at breakneck speed. And then there's dead silence for a couple of minutes ... and then the uproar starts all over again. Finally, by mutual agreement, exhausted-but-happy... they both go to their separate sleeping places and are soon asleep. :f: :jj:

#58 ciggggg

ciggggg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(Herbert @ Jul 22 2011, 10:43 AM) [snapback]40570[/snapback]
We've all heard the saying: "Cats are a Man's Best Friend" ... and nothing could be more true, of course. :lol: :evil: If memory serves me correctly I think it was the Ancient Egyptian priests who invented this saying. :t: There are two distinct kinds of male cat owner: Those who live with a cat or cats as a consequence of their womenfolk having brought a cat into the domestic situation --- and then there are those single males who opt for cat-ownership for one or more of a variety of reasons. The 'coincidental' male cat-owner can always 'save face' and retain his macho credentials by telling his footy mates that the cat belongs to his wife/daughter/housekeeper - and that he himself regards the creature as an unwanted nuisance that he tolerates only because of the girls in his family. However, the live-alone single male who keeps a cat or cats has no such excuses to take refuge in. Except if you're gay. Then it's OK. Everyone 'understands'. You're forgiven. Have a Nice Day. But! -- if you're NOT gay, and you live alone, and keep a cat or cats - and NO dog... then you'll find yourself under siege from fellow-males who think your sexuality is very suspect, and that you really should consider getting rid of the cats and buying a dog -- preferably an American Pit-bull Terrier just to make quite certain there's no lingering suggestion of homosexuality about you. I'm this latter fellow. There's a stereotypical Aussie male who lives with his wife across the road who is only now, after 20 years, beginning to realise that maybe, after-all, I'm not gay -- and that it is possible (as remote as this may be) for a single male to own a cat and not be in the chorus-line of a gay revue dancing troupe... :lol:
LOL Herbet I just had to comment on this! I'm a 24 year old single guy living alone with my cat, and soon to add to my furr family..again. My friend probably found the most accurate description of me in the following words: A gay man in every way....except for the attraction to men part lol! another friend also referred to me as a feminine straight guy lol... so thats my little addition to that argument haha

#59 Herbert

Herbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

I hear you, Craig. There are an awful lot of Type-A ballsy males Out There who have a little closet secret. They LOVE their wife's / girlfriend's / mother's CAT. I knew one of these. He was a leather-clad bikie whose girlfriend was my boss in a factory despatch department. He liked to cultivate the image of being a 'macho-man' ... but his girlfriend sprung his little secret to me one day. He luuuuved the cat that lived with them, and made all the noises like you do with a baby. "Goochy-goochy-goo" ... tickle tickle tickle... "daddy loves you".... Sickening. http://user.xmission.../cat_lovers.htm http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all http://gothamist.com...n_to_love_c.php http://blog.timesuni...and-cats/15814/ I have to admit though, that even though I myself am a hetero single male cat owner - I'm just as prejudiced as anyone else that a man who owns cats is a bit suspect. :lol:

#60 ciggggg

ciggggg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

hahaha :hh: IMO single men shouldn't be ashamed of having cats! One thing I did notice once i get Penny was that the attention I got from girls doubled hahaha... Kittens are totally chick magnets bahahaha :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users