Cat Chat Home Page

Cat Information Cat Breeds and Pictures  Cat Breeder's Listings
anyone here renting with cats in sydney? - General Chat - Cat Forums Australia

Photo

anyone here renting with cats in sydney?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 biscuit

biscuit

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

I am planning to do master in sydney (if only it is not to difficult to live with my cats (2 of them)) - like renting a place near to university (university of sydney; preferably less than 300 per week) and living alone? oh my, I find it difficult even I'm the one asking this question - -... it seems so impossible :angelic: what do you think? -i just dont trust my parents with my cats (and my mom always threat me with my cats like e.g. I wont let your cats live here if you blahh blahhh blahhh... just imagine if this happens in the middle of my studies.

#2 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 1,971 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge & of course cats

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

Not an easy one. I would see if you can offer a tenant & cat resume.
IPB Image

#3 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

Definitely do the pet resume, also there are sites with rentals that are pet friendly though some have a small fee attached it could narrow down your search. http://www.petfriendlyrentals.com.au/

#4 Lusy White

Lusy White

New Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:28 AM

it okey... here is one website you can look for rent.. just ask advertiser your requirment sydney classifieds : http://loudlisting.c...classifieds.htm wish you good luck

#5 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

I would suggest you look in the outer suburbs and take the bus or train to uni. The rents are much lower there, the air is better, the people are friendlier. My daughter lives in Castle Hill for $150 a week with two cats in the house - but that's shared accommodation. We used to rent a great house with a swimming pool and walk to a huge shopping centre in that 'high-society' suburb previously, for $420 a week. That's about the same what you pay for a little one-room apartment in the City. The bus ride to uni takes about an hour. Consider that. There are heaps of pet-friendly homes in the outer suburbs.
Breeder of Russian Blues and Whites in SA

#6 johnandle

johnandle

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:47 AM

Hello i just dont trust my parents with my cats (and my mom always threat me with my cats like e.g. I wont let your cats live here if you blahh blahhh blahhh... just imagine if this happens in the middle of my studies. Thanks

#7 lynh

lynh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

If I were living in Sydney again, and in your position, believe it or not I'd try to find cat-friendly rental accommodation either in the Blue Mountains or on the Central Coast. The rents are still going to be high, they always are, but I doubt you're going to find anything other than non-cat friendly share accommodation close to uni, even for $300. People are now paying that and more for a 2 bedder in Parramatta. (Plus I wouldn't like to have a cat in share accommodation around the city, where you're not going to be able to trust people to make sure the cat doesn't get out - you don't want your cat wandering around the city - especially near the uni - it's just too dangerous). I think you might find something you like in these two regions, and the train travel is very quick these days. There are express trains to both regions that are actually quicker than the ones heading out no further than around Blacktown, or along the Campbelltown line, which are generally not express - if things haven't changed too much. The Blue Mountains is just beautiful - cold in winter - but beautiful, and parts of the Central Coast that aren't too "touristy" are lovely too. I wish you luck in finding something you are happy about and which will be good for both your and your cats. If you mother would keep the cats at home and you could trust her to look after them also, she'd be more likely to get regular visits from you. As things stand I suppose she'll hardly ever see you, and that will be her loss.

#8 love.my.cats

love.my.cats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

My husband and I have been renting a place in Sydney for almost 2 years. We found it very hard to find a place that allowed pets so in the end, we ended up not telling the Real Estate about the 2 cats we had at the time (100% indoor cats). We knew that this was risky and could get us kicked out but it was a chance we were willing to take, and we have a place to go as back up anyway. We've only got about another 4-6 months here before we move into our own place now anyway.. And we've upped from 2 cats to 3 now!! We've never had any problems with them but this is really not something I would recommend doing unless you are prepared to move out with the cats if you get found out. Also, as others have mentioned, it's quite expensive around the city.. Even out in the suburbs rent prices are going up and up and places under $300 are very uncommon! =(
IPB Image

#9 Guest_OldTom_*

Guest_OldTom_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

I live in Sydney and can testify as to the outrageous rents in this city. I'm lucky where I live as I've known the owner of the house since I was a kid and there is no mortgage on this property so my rent is manageable and stable. I really wouldn't recommend the 'not telling the agent about the pets' thing but sometimes it really is unavoidable. It's sad really, as most landlords will allow pets but it's the agents that usually put that condition on in an effort to protect the asset - which is what they take as a part of their job. The only accommodation you will be able to find at a reasonable rent around campus will be share accommodation and that poses too many risks for the furries. Look to the outer suburbs and commute.

#10 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

Hmmm ... have you ever thought about owning your own home? This is not as impossible as many or most people think, even in Sydney. I have seen appartments advertised recently online on Broadway for about $60,000 only, that's basically next door to the university in the centre of the City. Check it out. Talk to a good mortgage broker. I did it five years ago, and I now own two properties (my own home and one which I rent out), although I wouldn't even get a credit card or mobile phone contract at that time, five years ago. You can buy your own property and keep all the pets you want if you come up with about twenty percent cash. This means, if you have $20,000 you can buy your own real estate worth $100,000 anywhere in Australia and have as many pets as you want and do there whatever you want and even make a money-earning business out of it. Stop thinking about renting - start thinking about making your own fortune!
Breeder of Russian Blues and Whites in SA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users