Cat Chat Home Page

Cat Information Cat Breeds and Pictures  Cat Breeder's Listings
Any new ideas how to find good homes for moggies? - Cat Rescue - Cat Forums Australia

Photo

Any new ideas how to find good homes for moggies?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Petra

Petra

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:47 PM

Hi. I wonder whether you can help me with a serious problem. 4 months ago I was so silly to take a mother cat with newborns into my care. Some local people heard that I was a cat lover and brought the family to me. The woman was first-time pregnant and scared that she could catch some disease from the cats. The man was scared of his financial responsibilities and did not feel able to ever find homes for such a big litter - this time it was not like in the years before; this time this silly cat gave birth to eight (8) kittens! Well, we raised them. We went through cat flu with them - of course, mum was not vaccinated. (This was actually a very intetesting experience for me, as our own VACCINATED purebred cats and their kittens of almost the same age were in contact with them - and did NOT get the flu! This proves to me that, indeed, vaccinations are effective.) We gave those kittens and their mum everything that I give to my own purebreds, too: They were wormed, fully F5 vaccinated, microchipped, and once they turned 3 moths of age, desexed. Looking at the price lists of our local vets, alone all these vet services would normally cost well over $300 or even $400. Add my cost and effort for feeding them premium food, cleaning them every day, etc. We are now offering these kittens and their mother for $150 adoption fee each only, have been doing so for over two months all over the Internet and in local advertising media - and noone is calling. We managed to hand over 2 of the kittens to one person at the right terms recently. A lovely lady with a genuine concern for animal welfare. But the other kittens are slowly growing into cats, losing their baby faces and their fluffiness, and mum ... hmmm... honestly, she is not particularly pretty neither nice. Some people called and asked whether the kittens are "give away" and "for free". I told them that they are actually "much cheaper than for free" ... but the people did not understand the logics. (You pay $150 and get up to $400 worth of vet services done in return! - I guess most people have never done their maths.) Some people even came to my home and said they would take a kitten immediately - any of them - only if it is for free! Of course, I sent them back home - but, sadly, I am sure they will get what they want only a few houses down the road. I have advertised this cat family on every public message board in our area (in shopping centres), in our local newspaper (free to every household), once per week on our local radio (the moderator of the "Buy & Sell" programme already recognises my voice and repeats my advertising message without me having to - "kittens that are already vaccinated, desexed and microchipped"), plus I advertise them on all national pet-trading Internet websites I know of (including petrescue.com.au - which attracts the right sort of people, but almost all of them live too far away) ... and noone else calls. I am getting a bit desperate. Do you have any idea for a really catchy advertising pitch? I am looking at people in my immediate neighbourhood - those who were used to get free kittens from some neighbours and never ever spent a penny on a vet... how can I aproach and educate and convince them?

#2 Velvet

Velvet

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:55 PM

The world over people want a "bargain" & something for nothing. When i got our two the rescue asked for a donation. Is there a rescue you could give the kittens to? Have you put a photo of the kittens & mum up where you are advertising? If folk can "see" the kttens it can help.

#3 julesp

julesp

New Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

Hi there, Have you tried taking photos of the kittens to personalise them and giving them cute names like Squeaky or Buttons etc and then writing a little blurb on each kitten to describe their personality? If a potential customer feels they can relate to the kitten they might be more likely to respond. I think $150 is a bargin price! If you lived in Cairns I'd get one myself, Good luck!

#4 Petra

Petra

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

Yep. I tried all that, too. See my ads on petrescue.com.au - with photos and stories. I have even set up my very own website, especially for them. Still, I get perhaps one call every two weeks only ... and three kittens are still here at 5 months of age, with one kitten being seriously sick, and their mum is growling and hissing at everyone else, she just doesn't want to stay here any longer!

#5 julesp

julesp

New Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

I'm not sure where you live, but $150 is cheaper than what our town shelter charges. I don't understand the whole free mentality. Yes people need to be educated, but if someone doesn't possess common sense there's not much you can do about it. I hate to suggest it but if I got desperate I would probably cut my loses and take them to the shelter.Not much help I know! I hope someone out there has some good ideas for you (:

#6 miss.aimee

miss.aimee

New Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

Hey, I just joined here, but I think your fantastic for taking on the family, and I'm so sorry for all the trouble you've had. I actually got a kitten on Friday, from my local vet clinic (they take in shelter kittens,and keep them till they're adopted).She cost me $150, and I was more than happy to pay it, considering the little lady is micro-chipped, de-wormed,spayed,vaccinated etc. Is taking them to a "no-kill" shelter or a vet clinic an option? Or maybe if you got receipts for all the vet work you've had done for them,to show they really are a bargain? I wish you the best of luck in finding homes for all of them! Also,you mentioned mama is a bit of a grump...do you think you'll be able to re-home her? Poor old girl :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users