• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mattyb

Mattyb

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

I have recently been lucky enough to own a Ragdoll Kitten, He is a beautiful Kitten, and myself and my Fiance both love him. I have a few questions regarding the Breeder and the general health of the kitten. I tok my little boy to the vet last week and i was advised my kitten is too thin (Very Underweight) my vet told me. He also has ear mites, i have to give my kitten ear drops to fix it. i did contact the breeder i bought him from but she denied that her kittens could be underweight or have ear mites. My Kitten is strictly an indoor kitten, he hasn't left my apartment apart from taking him to the vet, do i have a right to complain to someone like the RSPCA as the breeder is now ignoring me. Matt

#2 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

I am sorry you have had this experience. Maybe continue trying to talk with the breeder? Hopefully they are Registered Breeders? Did you have a health contract with the Breeder?

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

When God Created the Ragdoll Cat....He was Just Showing Off!!

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia
Visit Furrballz Ragdolls at Home!

#3 Mattyb

Mattyb

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

No, no health contract. I never thought of it, nor was it mentioned, how can i check if they are registered? Matt

#4 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

If they are Registered you usually have to sign a written contract, the kitten will have at least a copy of its pedigree with the breeders Prefix on it (this is like a surname, but at the front so people can id the breeder & cats easily), a vet certificate, preferably the kitten would be wormed, desexed and microchipped as well. Alot of reputable breeders are also DNA testing their cats to ensure they are not carrying the known possible lethal genes for PKD (a kidney disease) and HCM (a heart abnormality). If they are a backyard or unregistered breeder, they usually dont do alot of vet stuff (as it costs more money) so the kittens are not desexed or even microchipped and are not always fed the highest quality of food. If the breeder has a website they usually mention where and who they are Registered with clearly. Sadly, if they are not a registered breeder, the only come back you have is small claims or court

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia

#5 Online Pets

Online Pets

New Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi Mattyb Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately it doesnt sound like theres a lot you can do about the breeder. Hope your kitten gets back to perfect health soon!
No advertising permitted

#6 Mattyb

Mattyb

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

He is a great kitten, perfect apart from wanting to play @ 6am. He has put on a little weight and the mites are gone, so that's good news. I didn't think she was registered, oh well, just won't be recommending her to any of my friends, i wish i checked here first. Matt

#7 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:48 AM

We all learn Matt. Even tho I have been a Registered Breeder for 12yrs, I was an unregistered one when I started as I didnt know any better. Once educated on how I could be part of the development of the breed if Registered, and how I cant contribute anything other than be a home pet shop as an unregistered one, I desexed all my part-breds and unregistered pure breds and have only worked with pedigree Ragdolls ever since :) Sadly, some people dont want the 'bother' of being Registered and dont realise the friendships and knowledge that is out there, not to mention the protection of having a governing body to ask questions and get guidance from. I hope your baby continues to be a delight, and that you get it desexed soon :)

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia

#8 itsme

itsme

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

Nice to meet you. Hoping for the best in your situation.

#9 davidholes

davidholes

New Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

I am also new here.. Add sothat we may know each other well..

#10 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

Ah we live and learn ..but a vet check, and keeping your baby in good nick, feeding a good quality food will fix the underweight issue ..and earmites are fixable ..did i miss a picture of this cutie??
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

#11 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

I dont think Mattyb posted one yet, Fleabag Welcome davidholes

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia

#12 Guest_OldTom_*

Guest_OldTom_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

I'd like to see a picture too Matt!

#13 ULTRABLU

ULTRABLU

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

Welcome MATT im only a newbie on here to and yet to get my kitty,glad yr lil one is doing much better now Cheers Kim

#14 Mattyb

Mattyb

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

Sorry guys, i forgot about the picture. First pic is Cookie the day we picked him up. 2nd is Cookie now, at 5 months old.

Attached Files

#15 Analog6

Analog6

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Photography, cats, astronomy, astrophotography, DTP. travel, writing, reading, cooking, history

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

What a sweet little guy. He looks to be a good size now, has he grown a lot since you got him? And I am so happy to read you are keeping him as an inside cat, if only more people would do this!
Odille
------------

IPB Image

Photography by Odille | Odille's Blog

#16 Mattyb

Mattyb

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Wow, it's been a while since i was here, i have moved into a new place which has a small courtyard, so he can roam around and chase bugs as much as he wants. He used to be naughty in my old place but now he has a bigger place to roam in he is much happier.

#17 stopthief

stopthief

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

Do you enjoy taking photos of your Cats? Then upload and share photos of your cats and kittens with other members of the forum.i love to see and play with cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users