• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Painting, art

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:09 AM

My little Henry, the Burmese cross seems to get some kind of "boost" from dry cat food. My other cat Ollie also gets the boost but then comes down as if he's on drugs. I realise that kittens can be energetic but this is ridiculous. The pair of them will run around the house knocking everything in their way over for hours. They can scream up the fly screen doors and jump off at the top and do it several times. Ollie will calm after two hours but Henry will go on and pester Ollie to death. So much so that we have to separate them just so that Ol can get some rest. By mid arvo, they've settled and behave like "normal" cats. It has been so bad this morning that we've taken the dry cat food away because this seems to be the only thing in common with their "super cat" abilities. Has anyone heard of cats having a reaction like this to cat food? I'm not a first time cat owner and this is just so over the top that it worries me. Henry seems at risk of harming himself. Cheers Rob

#2 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

Cats are just like us, they metabolise things in a similar way. You havent mentioned a brand, but it sounds like one of your cats is having a allergic reaction to an ingredient. Possibly the preservative used. I would be looking for a better brand of dry food and look carefully for one that is a naturally processed as possible Supermarket brands are usually the more highly processed ones Please let us know how you go

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

When God Created the Ragdoll Cat....He was Just Showing Off!!

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia
Visit Furrballz Ragdolls at Home!

#3 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Well, we feed them just about every brand there is. Do you have a suggestion?

#4 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

Yes, start looking on the ingredients on the boxes/packets Do some research for the symptoms you see from your cats and also look for hyperactivity in children to find the allergy reaction and to what Google is your friend as is reading and finding out what is best for your cat :)

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia

#5 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:38 AM

Point of interest. We have eliminated all dry cat food from their diet and they are so well behaved this morning. Going to leave them without it for a few days and reintroduce to prove that it is the dry cat food causing the "behaviour" problems. We believe we have also identified the brand causing the hassles too. Cheers Rob

#6 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:43 AM

Excellent news for you all Rob! Remember to read up about balanced raw food diets so the cats get the taurine in particular. It is high in all organ meats (heart, liver, kidneys) I hope this is the start of a calmer life for you all :)

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users