Cat Chat Home Page

Cat Information Cat Breeds and Pictures  Cat Breeder's Listings
16 year old cat just diagnosed with full blown diabetes - Cat Health - Cat Forums Australia

Photo

16 year old cat just diagnosed with full blown diabetes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eamcjrt

eamcjrt

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Hello, just looking for some advice. Our lovely girl who is 16 has for the last couple of months not been herself. She cannot groom herself anymore, her coat is poor. She is very stiff on her back legs, very thin and just sleeps all day and night. She is also drinking copius amounts of water and peeing a lot! After some urine and blood tests she has just been diagnosed with full blown diabetes. Because she is thin and only just got it the Dr. expects that it is probably due to some sort of tumour probably in her stomach. Her sister died 3 years ago of stomach cancer. What do I do. We love her dearly. Do we put her to sleep or do we investigate further. Do we find out if it is cancer. If it is just diabetes do we put her through twice daily injections and hope that this is all she will need. I am really torn and would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem in an old cat and what did they do?

#2 Guest_OldTom_*

Guest_OldTom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

I'm sorry to read of your old friend's problem and unfortunately I've not got advice to offer having never come across the issue myself. However, I would have a good think about the 'further down the track' scenario's - of course you'll have a firmer direction to follow once she's been properly diagnosed. Things to consider will be firstly her quality of life. The next obvious thing will be the cost of the treatment(s) involved. I don't envy your position :(

#3 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

She is very stiff on her back legs, very thin and just sleeps all day and night. I think this is a clue to her quality of life - it is not great is it. I am sorry to read your news. I personally have not had this experience but last summer I minded a girl who was quite old. Her name was Inky and I met her owner yesterday and was told she had been put to sleep this week - end just passed......she would have been 21 years old next February. My friend is a Vet Nurse and Inky was bought in to the clinic just on 3 years ago to be put to sleep because her elderly owner was going into care and Inky had just been diagnosed with diabetes. My friend decided to give her a chance. I had to give her the injections twice a day - very small needles and she hardly would have felt them but they have to be given at the same time each day and a given time before being fed - which was quite hard to maintain for me with an irregular routine. Giving the injections is easy - you can do that if you can master the routine. Inky needed to have a blood check now and then to see how the diabetes was going but she also had a lot of stiffness given her age which was due to arthritis. Perhaps you could try for a given period and then make decisions when you see if she responds. In Inky's case she reached a stage when she did not need the insulin and she did get 3 more years but in the past week she could not get on the bed even with steps and appeared very miserable and when put to rest in the Sun could not move herself to another permission and Jenny felt it was time.... Not an easy decision but one we promise we will keep when we adopt a cat.... I am hoping that you will have your old companion for some time yet but this poem is one I cherish for when hard decisions have to be made eventually by all of us IF I SHOULD GROW FRAIL If it should be that I grow frail and weak And pain does keep me from my sleep, Then will you do what must be done For this - the last battle - can't be won. You will be sad I understand But don't let grief then stay your hand. For on this day, more than the rest Your love and friendship must stand the test. We have had so many happy years, You wouldn't want me to suffer so. When the time comes, please, let me go. Take me to where my needs they'll tend, Only, stay with me till the end. And hold me firm and speak to me Until my eyes no longer see. I know in time you will agree It is a kindness you do to me. Although my tail its last has waved, From pain and suffering I have been saved. Don't grieve that it must now be you Who has to decide this thing to do. We've been so close - we two- these years, Don't let your heart hold any tears. (author unknown)

#4 feloo

feloo

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

Cats like humans can get diabetes.. I would getting the diabetes under control.. but as another member said, it does take time as you have to inject them every 12 hours say 1/2 hour before food time, then see what happens.. You also need to make sure insulin is the right type , as my friends cat was up and down on her blood tests until a new vet changed the actual type of insulin required.. Make sure you always have some form of sugar like honey in case you need to give her some in her mouth .. just like with humans.. this also happened to my friend's cat, but the cat went on for many years after quite happily after she was on the right insulin. Lots of love to you both

#5 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:41 AM

Personally..I'd investigate, the right treatment may improve her quality of life ...I've had a couple of rickety cats and they weren't distressed by it, so much as I was. One looked at deaths door, and seemed to be very debilitated ..UNTIL one day I saw her hobble up to my massive ginger tom who was asleep in the sun ..she hit him on the bum, turned and raced as fast as her rickety legs would carry her home to "her" safe zone on the spare bed. I stopped worrying about how crook she appeared ..she still felt spritely..grin See if her diabetes can be controlled first. She sounds lovely ..16 isn't ancient!
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users