• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 followerofcat

followerofcat

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:57 AM

Hi im new here , cat owner from w.a , i don't know if im posting in the right section but , i have 3 cats and the newest addition is a rescue cat. we have had her about a month now and she is the sweetest little thing yet she really goes after the other 2 cats at times but at other times she's chill.. she will also be sitting with me and suddenly hiss and scratch at my face , but then go back to being calm is this behavior brought on by her less than kind kittenhood , is it something she will grow out of as we gain her trust more , or something we have to learn to live with and love ? thank you kindly

#2 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

Welcome to the forum :) I think this situation will be a wait and see thing for this girl. If I was in your position, I would be calmly placing her in a time-out room when she is inappropriate with you so she gets to know that she wont be hurt, but its not tolerated, too. Good luck!

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

When God Created the Ragdoll Cat....He was Just Showing Off!!

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia
Visit Furrballz Ragdolls at Home!

#3 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

More details needed, followerofcat! How old is your new cat, what do you know about her 'less than kind' kittenhood, and in what way exactly does she behave? The more precise your description is the better advice we can give.
Breeder of Russian Blues and Whites in SA

#4 followerofcat

followerofcat

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for your replies , i have been putting her in a time out bedroom when she goes for the other cats , so hopefully that helps! as for her history , well she was left behind at a home when the owners left , she was never desexed she had a litter of kittens previous , and when we took her in and to the vet , she was with kitten again but in a very early stage , the vet said she wouldnt have the strength for it again(she was skin and bone ...and mats) so the desexing procedure would "take care of it" , she also had ear mites very badly and infected eyes. she is all better now except for some itchy ears. according to the vet she is around 3 years old ( but she is tiny ) as for how she was treated all i can say is not well..

#5 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

i think its going to take time for her to be prooved to that people dont always hurt you in one way or another Good on you for giving it a go with her!

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

When God Created the Ragdoll Cat....He was Just Showing Off!!

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia
Visit Furrballz Ragdolls at Home!

#6 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(followerofcat @ Oct 12 2011, 04:47 PM) [snapback]41692[/snapback]
... she was left behind at a home when the owners left , she was never desexed she had a litter of kittens previous , and when we took her in and to the vet , she was with kitten again but in a very early stage , the vet said she wouldnt have the strength for it again(she was skin and bone ...and mats) so the desexing procedure would "take care of it" , she also had ear mites very badly and infected eyes. she is all better now except for some itchy ears. according to the vet she is around 3 years old ( but she is tiny ) as for how she was treated all i can say is not well..
This is sad but, very sadly, all too common. I would say that in our rural neighbourhood about 90% of all the once 'free kittens' are being treated this way. They never ever see a vet in their entire life and produce litter after litter if they are females, and get 'kicked out of the house because they stink and are left to God's mercy if they are males. Their kittens are being killed or given away for free, again, to like-minded people. I took on a mother cat with 8 newborns last January who was probably similar to yours. In my care, she has undergone an absolutely amazing transformation. There were several health problems (all extremely undernousrished, cleft lip, bowel disease, etc.) and the mother who used to live outdoors on a remote farm was very scared of everything. She retained her wee and pooh for 3 days until she found out what the litterbox was for. Since then, she has been very clean all the time. After a quarantine period of about one month I introduced her and her kittens to my other cats and my 2 dogs, and mum was very aggressive with everyone. It took about 6 further months ... then she started to accept other creatures, fattened up beautifully, and is now a very pretty and - guess what - 90% of all times FRIENDLY cat! She even climbs confidently over our White Shepherd Dog when the bitch is in her way, and won't let the big dog or anyone else take away her chicken wing. She is a strong character, and now a very healthy and confident one! In short - it takes time and patience, but finally, I am sure that you will get there, too, and have a lovely companion cat. Our Marble in January, just submitted (undernourished and scared): IPB Imagehttp://img560.images...stsubmitted.jpg[/url] Our Marble in August, spayed, vaccinated, microchipped and fed premium brands: IPB Image By the way, Marble is available for adoption - and she looks very much like a Norwegian Forest Cat now!
Breeder of Russian Blues and Whites in SA

#7 Lee Lee

Lee Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hi Followerofcat It sounds like your rescue girl has had a hard time...good on you for taking her on and trying to give her a normal life. I would try some Rescue Remedy (from chemists or health stores) in her water...and also a Feliway diffuser that can be plugged into a power point and emits pheromones which cats find comforting. It can also be bought in a spray...one of the vet practices I use recommended it and uses it at their clinic. As TA has said hopefully in time when she gains some trust and finds she wont be abused any longer she will start to calm down.

#8 followerofcat

followerofcat

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

thats a wonderful thing you're doing catsfriend and i hear you about the attitude of people , the people who had her before actually had the nerve to say "she didnt look after her last lot of kittens very well" after neglecting and starving her. @ Lee Lee , thanks i didn't even know such a thing existed! i will definitely check both those things out. myself and my family growing up have had a few rescued animals , and they have each had their little quirks but the reason im trying to nip this in the bud is because the eldest cat in the house is a rescue cat also, and she tends lick herself alot when she's stressed out , which ive been noticing more since leelu came into the house and started chasing her around. thanks guys for all your help

#9 Jacobdixon

Jacobdixon

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:HiddenBrains is one of the best PHP Programmer India company offering Reliable Hire PHP Developer/Programmer services at very effective and affordable rates. Undoubtedly our "Hire a Programmer in India" service enables extraordinary and experienced PHP Programmers on variable renting forms.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

I think she will be fine and calm as the time goes as she had already being rescued and she came from such bad times in her life, I hope she will be fine in upcoming time

#10 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

Good on you for Rescuing the little cat - she is very lucky....you will probably find the other cat will respond to the Rescue Remedy and Feliway to reduce stress as well. Can I suggest you keep the new girl away from the other cats for a while and set up her own safe room...try shuffling them for a fGew weeks - one cat out in the house - one locked in a room - so tht they take time to get used to the presence of each other. Cats are territorial and the original cat needs to feel safe with the new cat in the same area. Integration rules are to move slowly and really respect the first cat as it is their territory that is being invaded, don- t chastise the first cat if it is not friendly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users