omg first foster litter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michelle1963

Michelle1963

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

Ok really nervous just about to take in my first foster litter, mother and 5 x 1 day old kittens. I have just finished looking after 2 kittens for 7 weeks, they go to new home Saturday and i am hoping i havent bitten off more than i can chew. I know the mum will do most of the work but if any one has advice i am all ears :j: M

#2 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hello Michelle ... well done to take them on (I guess). But how did you get this young family? Gee ... transferring 1 day old kittens to a totally new place ... that can cause some problems which otherwise may not have arised. Please tell us the whole story. Most of all - how is the mother cat responding to the change? In what sort of enclosure/room are you keeping them? Also - please tell us in which state or city you are located. We may be able to help you find good homes for your foster kittens and their mother. My advice for the first moment: Leave mum alone, do not disturb them, until you are clearly aware of what you are doing and why. Mother cats have their instincts which usually (but sadly not always) guide them to do the right things naturally. Put them in a quiet darkened space and place a litter box, a water bowl and a food bowl (with suitable contents) near the entrance of their new home.
Breeder of Russian Blues and Whites in SA

#3 Michelle1963

Michelle1963

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

Short version, Mum were dumped 2 days ago. The ranger took them to the vet and the vet has me fostering them till old enough to be rehomed. We have a granny flat turned into cattery.

#4 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Do you know anything about their past? Where were they found / in what way were they 'dumped'? Find out as much as you can about their past, and imitate it. The kindest thing you can do is to restore the same environment they were used to by now, but in your home. For example, if they were outdoor cats, locate their new enclosure close to a window and give mum a litter tray filled with natural soil or sand and grass in it. Give the mother the type of food which she was most likely to have had in the past - plus, add some bites of good quality food to it. I recommend Royal Canine Kitten dry or any of the Whiskas tin foods or real fresh meat. Three times a day, and leave some dry food there all the time. Change the blanket they lie on every day. Kittens do their wees and poohs, and if it is left there, these excrements attract bacteria, microorganisms and parasites which can make the kittens very sick. Therefore, please give them a new blanket every day and wash the old one, preferrably with bleach. Leave all the rest to their mum. Do you have kitchen scales at home? Weigh the babies every day. They should weigh at least 100g now and double their weight by day 10. If not, let us know - you may have to help mum a bit with bottle feeding. Look out whether you can get Wombaroo kitten milk formula in your area, that's a good cat milk replacement. In 9 days, the kittens will open their eyes. At 3 weeks of age they will start to crawl around and you should offer them their first solid food. Every day anew. They will disregard it first, but be patient ... as their mum will stay away for longer and longer, they will finally get hungry enough to try whatever you have to offer. :) It is also important to touch the kittens every day in a gentle manner, so they become comfortable with humans. Good luck!
Breeder of Russian Blues and Whites in SA

#5 Lee Lee

Lee Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

Im sure you will be fine Michelle...and it might be a bit daunting...but Im sure a bit exciting too. I would be making up cardboard box with some nice bedding...cut a hole big enough for mum to get in and out. I always have kitten formula, nutridrops, heat pad...just in case. I weigh my kittens once a day...and early on try not to interupt too much. Good quality food for mum...I feed my cats Royal Canin baby cat biscuits...mum will do well on these to help make milk and also keep some weight on...and once babies are out and about they will have a nibble on these as well. I give my queens cooked chicken, raw human grade beef...and a little pure cream and grated cheese they love. I never feed Whiskas of any description. When bubs are starting to show interest in food...I give cooked chicken that I mince up with the fork...also finely minced human grade beef. I sit on the floor and hand feed my kittens at the start...some take a bit to get going...so I open the mouth and put a little bit up the side of the mouth...they get the hang of it after a while. When the little ones first start litter training...I use a little low sided tray so they dont have any trouble getting in and out. I find after they have had something to eat that is the perfect time to put them in the tray...and I take one little front paw and swipe it back and forth to show them how to dig. If they have an accident...clean up straight away...if it is a number 2...I will put that in the tray for a little while so they get the gist of where they are supposed to go. Oh...with the bowl for the kitten biscuits....I have found if the bowl is too big in diameter...they will sometimes use their biscuits as litter...lol...so I have small bowls now. Mum maybe quite stressed by the dumping having babies and being moved several times...so some Rescue Remedy from the chemist or health food store to go in her water...and a Feliway diffuser ...plug in or spray for the room. Anyway I think we will need regular updates and pics...and good luck sure you will do fine.

#6 Michelle1963

Michelle1963

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

No history on Mum, the ranger was called to a house that the mother cat turned up to and as she was ready to drop the vet took her to the vets. I have settled them in, i have a large baby bath and lined it with paper and old towel which i will replace daily. They all look the same at this stage just little bundles of black and white. will let her settle in and will go out later to give her a wet feed and a pat, she seems friendly. Have put out dry food and fresh water. She wasnt chipped and no one has put out a lost cat call. Dont know how to post pictures, mine are always to big and im not very tech savey. The 2 kittens i have just rehomed, come to my care at 5 weeks old. so i feel i will be ok once they get bigger its just they are so tiny/hepless. I am sure Mum cat will take good care of them as long as i take good care of Mum.

#7 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

Ohhh how exciting. I think the bath that you are using is fine but if you can locate a cardboard moving box - a biggish one it would be nice for mum if there was a cave like set up - in other words put something over the bath and hang an old blanket over it. Those small tables you use in the garden - the plastic ones or something like that would be ideal. Mum will care for them. They just need to be given space and quiet to bond. Do keep us posted.

#8 Michelle1963

Michelle1963

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

Like the cave idea, will do it. Once the kittens get bigger i will take out the bath, thought it would keep the kittens in one place and mum can hop out and have a quite moment to herself.

#9 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

Probably you could use a folded up blanket in the bottom of the cardboard box - place on it's side and roll a towel up under the blanket on the outside edge to raise the outside edge and just use the box...without the bathtub. Don't use a donut bed though as kittens can get smothered if they get too close to the inside edge. I used to use as mentioned for my litters - the top flap of the box used to hang down - which closes off the front half way and then I had a collection of babies blankets etc that I purchased from the second hand shops.. I used one of these so the front was covered very loosely....mum could come and go. Also used these blankies as bedding inside the box....try to keep it fairly flat...again to prevent babies getting squashed. My box used to be inside a built in wardrobe with the door open. If it is cold where you are then also put some bedding underneath the box to insulate against the floor if it is wooden flooring. Hope they are going well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users