The most stupid reason I've ever heard

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

...was presented to me today at my vet's clinic. I was just checking in some of my cats for vaccinations when a man came in with a cat carrier, waved at the receptionist and said, "Comin' for euthanasia", and the receptionist was about to wave him straight through to the consult room. I basically stepped into the doorway to stop that man (I know that was rude) and asked, "Tell me why" (I guess I risked being kicked out of the surgery for bad behaviour in that moment, but it was just kind of a reflex action, without much thinking), and the man almost bumped into me and looked straight in my eyes speechlessly. I repeated my question, and after a second, he got wet eyes and said, "My neighbours complain that he kills birds. He must go." I said, "Okay, I'll take him. You don't need to put him down." He was speechless for a moment again. "Are you serious?", he asked. Within 20 seconds (we didn't have more time to change his original decision as the vets were waiting in the doors of the consult rooms for each of us), I learned from the owner that the cat to be euthanised was only 1 year old, half-Burmese from a purebred pedigree mother, desexed, microchipped, vaccinated, cost them more than $1,000, but sadly, "...he kills birds, so we can't keep him." No other problems whatsoever, ever. Every week, I check the local notice boards in shops and on the Internet and I never saw a single poster with this beautiful healthy cat looking for a new home. The owners did not make a single attempt. Neither ever considered keeping him indoors. Although the man claimed that they loved him (which I was tempted to believe when looking into his wet eyes) and that they had always treated him very well (which his good condition and vet history confirmed). I just can't get my head around that. If I hadn't been there, and rude, at the right time, this beautiful young cat would be dead now. Would someone/everyone please teach the public that pets can be REHOMED instead of being killed? Would someone/everyone please teach the vets not to kill healthy animals, only because they are too busy to educate the owners about the alternatives? Picture of our new foster cat just taken: IPB Image
Breeder of Russian Blues and Whites in SA

#2 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

One very lucky little cat. Did you take the owners name and contact details so that you can talk some more with them about alternatives just in case they are ignorant of other ideas. Perhaps Vets need to have some of those lovely leaflets that encourage keeping cats enclosed or indoors. Euthanasia is an awful option but at least that owner was responsible enough not to dump the cat somewhere and was going to follow through by disposing of their cat humanely....but what a tragedy that would have been...Said before but will say it again - Lucky little cat.

#3 kittenmitten

kittenmitten

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

lucky for the cat you were there I guess, also shame on the breeder that sold the pedigree cat undesexed originally as well, so that someone could breed this BYB kitty. But remember too that people do all have differing opinions on the best way to keep a cat, and while we think the best option is to keep them indoors, there are some people that think that is cruel, and would rather have them PTS than have their "freedom" restricted, even if it means they could get hurt or killed whilst being outdoors. The one thing was good on this bloke at least having the guts to take this decision for himself and be there when the deed was being done, not either dumping the kitty somewhere, or dumping him at the vets and running. You do realise though that now you have taken this cat on that the home you are to find for this one must justify you making this call, and that the cat gets to live a long and healthy life indoors or with a safe enclosure to live in, not one where he is out and can be killed. I don't blame him though for not finding another way initially, he may not have thought there was a different option to keeping as cat, so why would he consider rehoming if the cat was just going to kill birds somewhere else?

#4 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

Kittenmitten I beleive the cat in question ISNT a pedigree but a part-bred Burmese. There are no Black Burmese, in any case. I am glad this cat has another chance at decent educated owners

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

When God Created the Ragdoll Cat....He was Just Showing Off!!

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia
Visit Furrballz Ragdolls at Home!

#5 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

also shame on the breeder that sold the pedigree cat undesexed originally as well, so that someone could breed this BYB kitty.
TA I think they were referring to the person who sold the mother of this cat - it is referred too as half Burmese. I think it is understood that this cat is not a purebred......well that is my interpretation of the above sentence.

#6 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

That's correct. According to the owner, the mother is a choc Burmese (not theirs). Unfortunately, there was a breeder here, locally, who, for about a decade, used to breed large numbers of Birman, Burmese, Silkirk Rex and possibly other cat breeds and various sorts of puppies, preferably the so-called "designer" crosses, and they had a pet shop, too, and sold them there to the public undesexed and without papers. They were actually registered breeders... They have given up the shop a couple of years ago and have left the region, but unfortunately their offspring keeps multiplying in even larger numbers. I have seen all sorts of crosses and mixes on our local notice boards and online forums. Therefore, I always say - first desex, then sell!

#7 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

Therefore, I always say - first desex, then sell!
Good advice that fortunately more and more breeders are following.

#8 kittenmitten

kittenmitten

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

yep you were totally right Heather, was referring to the original breeder who sold someone the purebred burmese that was then used to make this x bred kitten

#9 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

My mistake, I read it wrong! I agree with you about the Breeder of the Mum of this baby... it suxs, but sadly it isnt in many by-laws yet about desexing before sale for pets from Registered Breeders. It is one thing I do, tho

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

When God Created the Ragdoll Cat....He was Just Showing Off!!

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia
Visit Furrballz Ragdolls at Home!

#10 Tas

Tas

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

Very lucky black cat, beautiful and the timing was right. :q:

#11 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

I just can't resist to add this one - you won't believe it! In another forum (http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php?clk_loc=1#!/groups/deathrowpets/?notif_t=group_activity) a participant who seems to work in an animal shelter wrote: "Also seen cats surrendered because: scratches at the fish tank, won't stay outside, hyperactive kitten, sleeps all day, too affectionate, not affectionate enough and my all time favourite...doesn't match the new furniture!!!!!!!!! Don't even get me started on the LONG list of rediculous reasons for dog surrenders!!!"

#12 Jacobdixon

Jacobdixon

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:HiddenBrains is one of the best PHP Programmer India company offering Reliable Hire PHP Developer/Programmer services at very effective and affordable rates. Undoubtedly our "Hire a Programmer in India" service enables extraordinary and experienced PHP Programmers on variable renting forms.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Thats really very sad and emotional incident

#13 Ithika

Ithika

New Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Art, Ancient Mythology, History, Gaming, Geekery ;), Tropical Fish, Cichlids, cats, dogs, Marine Fish

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

I can't believe the owner never considered keeping his cat indoors? Good work saving this lovely looking cat, Catsfriend. I hope your search for his new home goes well. :)

#14 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thank you, Ithika. The boy-cat has already been successfully rehomed. He went to a lovely older couple who love him to bits and keep him indoors, with a safe outdoor cat run connected to the kitchen window. Perfect!

#15 pussywillow

pussywillow

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Yes amazing. I cant believe people euthanase without living up to their duty to persevere until rehoming their 'friend'. I think it happens all the time as some think its better than the cat or dog going into an unknown home which may be a bad home - they would rather kill it... I rehome cats probably have done 5 or 6 in the last 25 yrs and keep them till their forever comes... I ALWAYS reccommend the person to ring my vet who vouches emphatically for me as a cat home.

#16 EmilyMay15

EmilyMay15

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

I have always believed there is no reason for any tame cat to ever go outside for even a minute. Bird deaths are nothing compared to what can happen to your own cat, who you love and care for, and no cat in a loving home needs to be where the birds are. Nobody can make me change my mind about that. If you don't want to keep your cat inside all the time, why do you want a cat at all?
Life is incomplete until you have a cat.

#17 jan70

jan70

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE(Catsfriend @ Oct 25 2011, 09:05 AM) [snapback]41876[/snapback]
I just can't resist to add this one - you won't believe it! In another forum (http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php?clk_loc=1#!/groups/deathrowpets/?notif_t=group_activity) a participant who seems to work in an animal shelter wrote: "Also seen cats surrendered because: scratches at the fish tank, won't stay outside, hyperactive kitten, sleeps all day, too affectionate, not affectionate enough and my all time favourite...doesn't match the new furniture!!!!!!!!! Don't even get me started on the LONG list of rediculous reasons for dog surrenders!!!"
My 8 yr old Birman (purebred) & his sister were given to our local RSPCA because they didnt use the littler. WTF , they had these 2 for 8 yrs before they decided they didnt use their littler tray and dumped them both. Waldos sister found a home & waldo is now with us and yet i cant fault him, He is amazing with all the family even the dogs & uses the littler perfectly. Some people need to be put to sleep :i:

#18 kittenmitten

kittenmitten

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

I think you could add the cat that is for sale on another part of this forum, under cats for sale This is his reason for being offered up (the cat is a ragdoll, a semi longhair breed) "He moults to much and i can't let him outside. Its driving me made all his furrrrrr..... I paid $800 hundred for him. I love him very much but its too hard looking after him and not letting him go outside to poop and drop his furrrrrr.

#19 tobekobe

tobekobe

New Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

yep you were totally right Heather, was referring to the original breeder who sold someone the purebred burmese that was then used to make this x bred kitten

#20 stopthief

stopthief

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Yes i also have to buy a cute and beautiful cat..so guys please continue your posting with your lovely kittens so that i can catch a little one ....  :shifty:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users