Hi Everyone :)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Panda Azura

Panda Azura

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

I couldn't help but notice there is no introduction section ;) I currently have 3 adult male cats (aswell as 3 small dogs, 1 cockatiel and 15 pet rats). My boys are generally pretty well behaved and all get along well.. But last night my Husband came home with a little female kitten, who he said was a stray and also said we would take her in.. :/ The younger boys (both 8-9 months) are fine with her, but my older boy (9 years) is having a hard time adjusting to the "intruder". He won't even let the other boys near him and they used to all cuddle up in there bed :( Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it easier for my poor old man?
Cats - Kazran (Grey & White DMH), Panda (Torti Ragdoll X)
Dog - Taj (Pomeranian X)
Cockatiel - Alfie (Lutino)
+ 8 Rats <3

#2 kittenmitten

kittenmitten

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

would hasten slowly -0 if she has only just come into your hosue, meeeting everyone so soon is way too early - would take several steps back straight away, and keep her conifned to her wn space so that she can settle for starters (and you can make sure she is not carrying any nasties which she can pass onto your other cats), which will also allow the others to know she is there. Rescue Remedy in the water of all cats will help them settle, and slowly you can introduce her to the rest of your tribe. On another cat forum, cat-world.com.au there is a great article on the front page about introducing a new cat into an existing cat household. Good luck, and welcome here, and bless your hubby for taking this little one in, Of course the next step is also to get her speyed, which can be done safely now for her (and probably good timing if she is confined to her safe quarters), the vet can also then check her over too.

#3 Panda Azura

Panda Azura

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

She is going to the vet on monday to get vaccinated and microchipped. I took her in for a check up this afternoon and she is perfectly healthy. But he said she is far to young to be desexed. He thinks she is only 5-6 weeks and wants to wait until she is atleast 12 weeks. She is in her own space, in the laundry. but there is a security door instead of a wooden one, so the other cats can still see her. Gizmo, has been better. He is happy to walk past the laundry and i even caught him watching her earlier while she was distracted by all her new toys. You would never think she was a stray! She has already settled in perfectly. Its just Gizmo that still has a problem with her.. But i'm sure he will adjust quickly after the progress he has made just today :)
Dog - Taj (Pomeranian X)
+ 8 Rats <3

#4 love.my.cats

love.my.cats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hi, I'm new here as well. We adopted a kitten a couple of weeks ago. The introduction to our other 2 cats went a lot faster and more smoothly than we expected. Our 6 year old male hissed for the first day but he was fine and they were playing by day two. Our 3 year old girl took about 2 days to stop hissing and a day or two after that before she'd play with him. As others have said take it slow and watch them closely. I'd recommend keeping kitten in its own area until you've been able to watch them interact a lot and can be sure the kitten is safe to be left alone with the big boys
IPB Image

#5 renald36

renald36

New Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hello guys i'm new here to i have one big lazy cat he is 3 years old and have no tail :/ But he is fine and we live in harmony.

#6 Panda Azura

Panda Azura

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

It only took overnight and for her to steal his bed, for my old man-cat to get over it :P Everything is back to normal now and our little stray is a happy member of the family :D We named her Panda :) She is the kitten in my avatar :)
Dog - Taj (Pomeranian X)
+ 8 Rats <3

#7 lynh

lynh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

Welcome to the newbies. I'm pretty new as well. Panda is just beautiful. It's hard to imagine her as a stray. It seems you've been very lucky introducing her to the rest of the family. Renald, is your cat a Manx cat, or has he lost his tail through some sort of accident? I have six cats - Lily and Poppy who are black, Ruby and Mischa who are long haired dark torties, Gypsy who is a calico (grey/white/ginger) and Summer who is a Seal Point Ragdoll. Lily and Poppy were from pet shops and the rest were "rescues". I adore my girls and they are my best friends. Lily is the cat I've used as my avatar.

#8 Rachelle

Rachelle

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Welcome all Panda is gorgeous :) thank you for taking her into your loving home

#9 JaneD

JaneD

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi :m:

#10 KayP

KayP

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

hi everyone!))) i am new here :)) look guys, i don't know if here is a thread about it (didn't find any) but is there some kind of vet service or something when they put your cat to sleep and shave him? because my fluffy persian is actually suffering because of the fur and i can't brush him 24/7

#11 lynh

lynh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

Hi Kay, I'm pretty certain any local vet would shave your cat, for a price. I don't know that they'd "put him to sleep" - which in cat talk usually means KILL, by the way, but I'm sure he'd be restrained or sedated if that were really necessary. There are also animal grooming services - shops and mobile services, who would be more than expert at grooming difficult "customers". They would be able to shave if necessary, or give him a good going over so that you can take over his care again. I've never owned a Persian, but I would imagine that one very quick brush per day would keep knots and fur loss in check - it will soon be winter and your cat may not appreciate not having fur during that time. I have a long haired tortie who had somehow managed to get a few big knots in her fur without me noticing, and didn't cooperate at all when I tried to brush her - I bit the bullet so to speak, and carefully cut out the knots, and commenced trying to brush her each day. She hated it at first, but after about 3 months of daily effort of about 5 minutes on my part she now comes to me each night and asks to be brushed, so I HAVE to do it, even if I don't feel like it that night!! :wink:

#12 jim.shaikh

jim.shaikh

New Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hi... I am new to this forum. I had three cats one is in brown colour and remaining two are in gold colour which looks pretty nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users