• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 love.my.cats

love.my.cats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

I don't want this to become a big debate about what people should and shouldn't be feeding but I'm interested in what everyone feeds - raw, wet, dry, a mix? What brands? Why do you choose to feed the food you do?
IPB Image

#2 Clean Feral

Clean Feral

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

I feed my cats a mix of Friskies kitten and Friskies adult (chicken & veg) dry food. Also Whiskers Casserole Chicken, chicken & beef, and beef. What I like about the kitten food is the fat content, this is so they can gain weight. The mum cat, DeeVee, is there, and Freckles is catching up. He's nearly to 14 months now and still growing. In hot weather I change their diet to just adult food & they don't seem to mind. I also have cat grass for them when they're inside. They're fussy eaters and didn't like canned fish. But I've been putting some on their paws now and then - and DeeVee's got the taste of it. Deevee never used to be fussy. I'd feed her fresh beef and one time she ate some spicy cabbage! lol. I wish she'd eat more vegetables.

#3 lynh

lynh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:39 AM

Hi, I feed my girls, all adults, Friskies biscuits, usually the fish flavoured one, and I throw in some more expensive stuff, Prescription Diet t/d for their teeth, sometimes some Hills Hairball as I have three long haired cats. My cats tend to share their food, and with six I can put out a mixture. Every second day I put out Whiskas canned food - usually the loaf varieties which contain chicken, but sometimes the fish flavours, and occasionally the mince varieties. They don't like the casserole varieties, and just lick off the gravy. I also put out some fresh meat, either VIP Fussy Cat mince, or lately fairly finely chopped good quality lamb. I'm experimenting with other fresh cat meat at the moment, without much success. In between my "economy days" with the Whiskas, I put out a variety of more expensive supermarket canned food, Snappy Tom Ultimates, Fancy Feast and Fancy Feast Royale, Dine Desire tuna varieties and Dine foil packs meat and gravy varieties. They also like Woolworth Select fish varieties and Purr tuna varieties from Coles. I would like them to gnaw on raw chicken bones for their teeth but they don't seem to know what to do with it for some reason, so I'm thinking of trying them on good quality raw chicken mince to give them a taste for it perhaps, and then trying again. They certainly are all thriving and have good teeth - this year will be the first year that a couple of my older girls will require teeth cleaning.

#4 love.my.cats

love.my.cats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for both your responses. I've not long switched from all dry - mostly Hillls td and also a little Royal Canin to mostly wet with dry only a couple of times a week. I've been giving mostly Dine with Fussy Cat now and again and also some fresh diced beef and chicken. I had a great plan a couple of years ago to give them raw but getting them to eat things like bone and organs was impossible. Lynh, how many cats do you have? How old are they?
IPB Image

#5 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Following my fellow breeders' and my vets' recommendations, my kittens are mainly raised - throughout the day - on the really good and expensive stuff ($25+ per kg): Royal Canin Baby Kitten and Kitten dry food. Their mums get it, too, before birth, during the nursing time and a few weeks after. Then, the adults switch to the 'normal' supermarket food, which they eat just as reliably, if they hungry: Whiskas and Friskies dry. However, no matter what sort of dry bisquits they get throughout the day, all my cats enormously enjoy their wet evening feast meal every day! From about 5 pm all my cats and kittens gather in the kitchen or line up in front of their cattery doors and excitedly wait for their wet home-made evening meal. This best meal of the day is different every day. Here are some options: - half a 5kg bowl raw minced beef + 3 tins Whiskas minced beef + stock from freshly boiled beef bones - 1/2 raw kangaroo mince + 1/2 of chicken frame mince + filtered water - two whole roast chickens ($5 each on Special) in their roasting gravy + 3 tins Whiskas Chicken - 1kg boiled fresh basa fillets in their brine + 3 tins Whiskas Chicken and Salmon - 500g tinned tuna + a tin of sardines in olive oil + 3 tins Whiskas Sardines and Tuna - 2 kg raw lamb chops cut in little pieces, with the bones to carry away and protect - 4kg cooked turkey legs with the soup they made, mixed with boiled rice and cut vegetables - any left-over cooked meat from our own meals, washed off the sauces and spices, cut in pieces and mixed with the commercial tin foods which promise to have a similar taste (for example, duck/rabbit/turkey etc.) Although I really believe that all the premium cat dry food brands do have all the nutrients our cats need to be well and healthy, I also consider it proven that cats do indeed love a large variety of different tastes, dishes and recipes ... they are true gourmets!
Breeder of Russian Blues and Whites in SA

#6 lynh

lynh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hi love.my.cats, I have six cats, Lily 8 1/2, Poppy 7, Ruby 6, Gypsy 5, Mischa 4 and Summer 5 - black Siamese x, black with white star, long haired dark tortie, calico, another long haired dark tortie and Seal Point Ragdoll. Except perhaps for kittens or for adult cats with health issues, I don't think the super-expensive foods and biscuits (e.g. from the vet or specialty stores) are really necessary. I believe that variety is much more important than giving them a brand name product every day. Cat's friend's menu looks delicious. Perhaps when I'm on hols soon I might experiment with cooking for mine from scratch. I don't believe in all biscuit diets. Which Einstein came up with that one? Probably the Einstein who works in the pet food company's accounts department!! In the wild cats generally would have a wide variety of food. I wonder how Einstein would like to eat the same meal, day after day. I even buy my goldfish different types of food! :wink: You asked in your first post "why do you choose to feed the food you do?" - which I haven't specifically answered ........ Cat health - to maintain weight, for good coats which will stop shedding any more than is necessary, dental health. Good quality. Generally economical. A lot of variety. On Saturday, I bought myself a rare treat of a small packet of Red Rock Deli Sweet Chili and Sour Cream chips - Lily ate half of them, and then licked my fingers too!! :signgiggle:

#7 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 980 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Adults are raw fed only. Kittens & mums get mostly raw meat with some tinned food and a small amount of Royal Canin dry.

#8 kittenmitten

kittenmitten

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

the Devons & Coonie get a mix of RC Maine Coon, RC Indoor & RC Hairball, the Persians get a mix of RC Persian, RC Indoor & RC Hairball. Preg mums (Persians), get a mix of RC kitten 36, RC Persian & Eaglepack Kitten, and when the kittens are old enough, they will start on RC Babycat. I do also feed raw beef chunks at the night feed, or the fancy feats white tins.

#9 lynh

lynh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Kitten Mitten - what is RC? I know, I'm a dope. :j: And they actually have specific biscuits for specific breeds? What do Main Coons need that other cats don't, or vice versa? Chocolate Dots - I've been meaning to comment for ages on your beautiful pictures. To be honest, I've never heard of Ocicats, but they are SO beautiful (or at least yours are!). How can one cat have so much character? Are their personalities as gorgeous as their appearance?

#10 CeilingCat

CeilingCat

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

Lately I have been feeding my cats with dry Friskies. I also mix in canned fish and they eat it up like it's going out of style :D Funny, I just got a Groupon discount offered to me, it wants me to buy Purina cat food. Don't think I can switch my cat food just like that, they're too picky just like myself :biggrin:

#11 kittenmitten

kittenmitten

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

RC - Royal Canin They do have some breed specific things to cope with the different kitty jaw shapes - the Persian for instance is a smallish shape, but oval, and designed spcially for the jaw and skull shape of Persians, and has added L Lysine, which is good for their eye health, the Maine Coon is a very large kibble, and means that this really needs to be crunched to be eaten, which with the larger head size of a Coonie, means they get a good dental workout, the devons also enjoy it as due to its large size, means that in needing to crunch and break it up, it helps keep the tartar in their teeth down, as they work it around their mouth, much like a bone, but without the risk of bone splinters.

#12 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 980 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(lynh @ Feb 21 2012, 07:09 PM) [snapback]43271[/snapback]
Chocolate Dots - I've been meaning to comment for ages on your beautiful pictures. To be honest, I've never heard of Ocicats, but they are SO beautiful (or at least yours are!). How can one cat have so much character? Are their personalities as gorgeous as their appearance?
Thanks :) They do have gorgeous personalities, running round like crazy one moment, curled up purring in your lap the next. They are the perfect blend of high energy and snuggly cats.

#13 catsmyth

catsmyth

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

i feed my cat dry biscuits and those meat packets of chicken... but i am not sure whether these are real chicken?

#14 CeilingCat

CeilingCat

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(catsmyth @ Feb 24 2012, 03:33 PM) [snapback]43318[/snapback]
i feed my cat dry biscuits and those meat packets of chicken... but i am not sure whether these are real chicken?
I sometimes wonder myself if it's real chicken. With today's processed foods I'm always wondering if it's natural.

#15 Ithika

Ithika

New Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Art, Ancient Mythology, History, Gaming, Geekery ;), Tropical Fish, Cichlids, cats, dogs, Marine Fish

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

I've always fed my adult cat Science Diet indoor biscuits (free fed) and Fancy Feast Royale tinned food, because the Royale looks good enough for me to eat! I like being able to see the ingredients that are on the ingredients list, even if the white bait are creepy looking, haha. My kitten is getting a mix of raw kangaroo / chicken/ beef and Whiskas' kitten loaf, with a free-fed portion of Science Diet kitten and Purina Proplan something 40% protein for kittens. The kangaroo sure makes her a bit smelly in the litter box, though! Unfortunately it's her favourite favourite food so I don't have the heart to wean her off it. Since getting my new Burmese kitten (I suppose I should post some photos!) I've been doing a lot of reading about cat nutrition and I've decided to switch our cats to "Innova EVO Carnivore" - a dry food that has no grains, and a very high no by-product meat content. Has anyone used this? It's so hard to find here (as far as I know the only place to buy it aside from the internet is Pets Paradise), but I'm going to give it a shot. It has excellent independent reviews online, though. My adult cat won't touch any whole foods - meaning raw meat, meat on the bone, etc: not even fresh fish, chicken or anything else typically thought delicious to cats! He doesn't even like cat milk! Is there any way I can convince him to eat whole foods like the kangaroo I give my kitten, or is he going to be fine without it? Interesting thread!
I sometimes wonder myself if it's real chicken. With today's processed foods I'm always wondering if it's natural.
I think one of the better ways of telling whether food is very processed or not is to check for named meat, like "chicken" rather than "meat" or "poultry", and then just saying "chicken" is better than "chicken meal," and "chicken meal" is better than "chicken by-products." Apparently "by-products" can mean pretty inedible things like heads, feet, feathers, beaks and claws. I always thought it meant stuff we don't like eating that is still nutritious like organs, but alas apparently this isn't the case. :/ Life was so much simpler before I started reading this stuff! :)

#16 lynh

lynh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:39 AM

I'm trying to introduce my cats to more raw food too. Some of them like VIP Fussy Cat mince, but it's very expensive and the quality these days is quite unreliable. :i: I've wasted quite a bit of money on kangaroo, rabbit and lamb - again, some of them liked the lamb, but only the lamb I bought from the butcher in the the village - I bought some lamb at Woolies, well within the use by date, and they wouldn't touch it??!! I have to admit it felt kind of slimy when I was packaging it up. I cooked up some rabbit and kangaroo with gravy, to see if they'd eat it cooked, but even though it smelled quite nice to me, they wouldn't touch it - so it's now in the bin. I bought some chicken mince the other day, which I thought was another washout, but once it had been out for a little while (and had probably reached room temperature, or thereabouts), it all got gobbled up, even by the cat who usually only eats good quality canned fish!! If I continue to try chicken and they are interested, perhaps I'll get lucky with wings and necks eventually. which would be great for their teeth. :hh: I've heard of cat biscuits with no grains, on a UK forum, but I've not yet done any investigations here. My cats love Friskies and they are good value, I don't see any reason to force them to change (or to increase my cat food bill substantially). :c:

#17 ClaudineM

ClaudineM

New Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

i try to feed my cat what I eat. my grandmother used to do that and her cats were healthy and had long lives. when i feed my cat with all this special cat food it throws up :(

#18 Panda Azura

Panda Azura

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

I have always fed dry Friskies (available 24/7), 1 cup per cat of kangaroo mince once every second day and a chicken neck, or raw chicken wing once a week
Cats - Kazran (Grey & White DMH), Panda (Torti Ragdoll X)
Dog - Taj (Pomeranian X)
Cockatiel - Alfie (Lutino)
+ 8 Rats <3

#19 reilly21

reilly21

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Cats need high fat, high protein diet. They cannot digest carbs properly and may develop intestinal inflammation from carbs.Many cat foods are very high in CORN. Sheba was very intolerant to that and had facial sores from it. That is when I changed her to Eukanuba. 10 yrs ago Corn was the FIRST ingredient in Science Diet. They have changed a bit over time. pet food
No advertising permitted

#20 olivialowrie

olivialowrie

New Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

We have wet and dry. Sometimes we feel that he doesn't like his food that's why we have both just to give him a little variety.

#21 {Wild-Cat}

{Wild-Cat}

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Ive always fed a good quality dry food using science diet for many years recently have changed to pro plan as my cats won 35kg of this at the sydney royal show recently :-) I use human grade mince not from the pet shop, I did work at one many years ago and didnt like what was put in the meat or what type of meat it was, I use fancy feast cans and some of the whiskas can food is not to bad mainly i use the ocean fish variety and chicken mince. its great to get your cats to chew on raw chicken necks or wings as this is good for there teeth, mine are not interested, so dental biscuits are also added to the dry food.

#22 catzlife2

catzlife2

New Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

I NO longer buy the supermarket food. I buy all natural dry food, Innova Senior Dry Cat Food. Their coat is so much shinier and Sasha has lost about 9 pounds. She was 18 pounds. They are both indoor cats, so I have to monitor their food more often. It's important to read the ingredients, just like you would if it was food for yourself. I feed them Fancy Feast wet 1/2 can each cat, for AM & PM each. http://catzlife2.blogspot.ca/
Check out my blog for more helpful tips: http://catzlife2.blogspot.ca[b][color=#CC0000][size=2]

#23 PrinceEllie

PrinceEllie

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

I was feeding my female Royal Canin but changed her to Super Coat Adult with fantastic results, which surprised me (all depends on the individual cat!). I have just brought Royal Canin Kitten for the new boy, that is currently what he is on anyway, so lovely to see breeders feeding quality feeds. I dislike 'cheap' feeds, Purina isn't a brand i am overly fond of, though I don't mind Super Coat! .. I do LOVE feeding raw but you have to make sure where you get it from is a decent place, because of the bacteria in it.

#24 kennyc

kennyc

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

I did give SD and RC but after a lot of research and finding out that SD is the worst and RC not far behind (all grains, no muscle meat) I have started giving Wellness. Wellness is grain free and just just proper meat. Since giving this i have noticed his solids a smaller and not stinky. Glad i did the research as the "top" brands are not so good!

#25 PrinceEllie

PrinceEllie

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE(kennyc @ Jun 20 2012, 05:32 PM) [snapback]44716[/snapback]
I did give SD and RC but after a lot of research and finding out that SD is the worst and RC not far behind (all grains, no muscle meat) I have started giving Wellness. Wellness is grain free and just just proper meat. Since giving this i have noticed his solids a smaller and not stinky. Glad i did the research as the "top" brands are not so good!
you're not wrong there. It is really surprising when you see what is in the 'top brands', especially Hills Science diet, Purina Pro Plan.. etc. I am fussy but don't mind the feeds i feed :)

#26 Lyn7

Lyn7

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

I feed prescription Hills z/d diet because of food intolerance in both of my cats (litter brothers, Snowy and Tabby, 1.5 years old, moggies). This is dry food. We have been feeding them for about 5 months and they tolerate it reasonably well but they cannot eat unlimited amount as they get diarrhea. 100g morning and night of wet food, tin or pouch, from supermarket without any problems, only making sure that it does not contain things like corn and other fillers that isn't good for them anyway and causes stomach upsets for some. The wet food we give them varies depending on what they like the most, but we dont give homebrand or storebrand as it has more salt. Usually we feed them Purr from Coles or occasionally Whiskas and Snappy Tom. I bought Hills Science tins, but they didnt eat it earlier this year, will try again as they are not so finicky now...at the time Tabby was sick we never found out what it was, he was in vet hospital for 3 days and blood results were ok, some small inflammation somewhere or infection (the only problem found in the blood test result). He did not eat for 3 days and had small fever, could have been a virus... but they never found what it was actually. Snowy at the time had problems with fillers in dry food and we tried many, including Royal Canin, without success. Tabby also has intollerance but not to the same degree to something in dry food and now they are both on Z/d diet. They cannot tolerate lactose as well and we cannot give them Lactose reduced milk like from Whiskas for example.. I also sometimes give them veal or beef, raw, and sometimes I boil it. I am worried it can cause food poisoning like I heard from someone. We (my partner and I) are always looking for new ways of making our cats' diet better, within the budget that we can afford at the moment. I did not grow up in Australia and at the time we fed our dog human food and meat, he lived to be 15. But cats are more difficult they need more protein from animal sources than dogs do.. That is why I found this site it is helpful to find out what other people feed their cats and other useful things.

#27 Lyn7

Lyn7

New Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(kennyc @ Jun 20 2012, 05:32 PM) [snapback]44716[/snapback]
I so agree with this. We had the same problem with stinky stools, no appetite and eventually lethargic cat (Snowy) who just slept all the time. When changed to z/d all changed. I am now looking for good wet food. If there is no corn and wheat on Whiskas tin for example, does this mean there is no corn? I assumed there is isnt if the cats dont react. Can anyone suggest good wet food for corn intollerant cat?

#28 KazCats

KazCats

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hi, I'm new :smile: I am owned by one cat, Ruby. She loves her dry food more than wet, and we alternate between Wiskas and Friskies brands. For wet food, Ruby has the one serve packs, mostly in meaty flavours as strangely enough she doesn't like fish much. It has to be really wet and gluggy as she loves the sauce more than the actual meat. When in the past she has been given chunkier wet food with less sauce and more of that solid jelly stuff, she hasn't eaten it. Miss Fussy has thankfully been eating more and more of the meat bits lately. But only if we don't add in a capsule of fish oil (recommended by the vet for dandruff in her fur). Then she'll eat less of it. I tell you what, uneaten wet cat food begins to smell after only a day or so, and is not nice to have to scrape out all the time! Ruby is 12 years old and a bit on the chubby side so she does have both weight control and seniors 7+ dry cat food, but eats it less than the 'normal' dry food. Perhaps her way of telling us that she doesn't like that we are suggesting that she is both fat and old. :jj: We are going to be adjusting Ruby's food intake to try and lose some of the tubby tummy.

#29 kittenmitten

kittenmitten

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

if you could afford it, would certainly suggest better dry than Whiskas & Frisky, they are the maccas of cat food, and certainly would be helping her maintain a fuller figure - premium drys like Royal Canin for instance do make Senior food, Dental food and Light (to help with weight loss0, and would be certainly better than the supermarket stuff, which s more full of filler than great nutrition

#30 KazCats

KazCats

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

The Maccas of cat food? Mmmm, I didn't realise that. Thanks Kittenmitten! We will give the better quality brands a try and hope that Ruby likes it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users