• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cookiegin

cookiegin

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Dear all

I have a 4 year old female Himalayan bluepoint called Cookie. She has been desexed.

She is very affectionate, and she loves to sit on your lap (will repeatedly jump on your lap even when you don't want her to!), and behaves like a dog in that she loves people, even strangers.

For personal reasons I must find her a new home.

Here is a photo of her:

Posted Image

The only problem with her is that she has ringworm, which she's had since she was just a few weeks old.

This problem is completely manageable, and the ringworm is not why I need to find her a new owner.

The ringworm goes away if you bath her with Malaseb shampoo once a week. It takes about 3 weeks of weekly shampoos for all the lesions to disappear. However if you stop bathing her for 1-2 months, it will inevitably come back.

As you probably know, ringworm can affect people, and I've had it 3 times, the last of which was 3 years ago, so I think you get immune to it after a few times. It responds well to simple anti-fungal cream like Canesten, and does not leave a visible mark.

I am a GP working in Penrith, so I am familiar with ringworm infections in people.

She has been bathed regularly and she is ringworm-free at the moment.

I will give her away to a good home. I live around the Parramatta area of Sydney, but if you are interested I can bring her to you. I can also give you the litter box with a lid and a 3-level cat tower

Ideally I'd love for someone to adopt both my cats (see post just above), but I do understand this may not be practical, and will take enquiry about either Ginger or Cookie

Thank you for reading.

#2 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

I am sorry you are having to give up your loved cat and I wish you well on this. As you are a medical Dr I am surprised you havent treated the ringworm infection internally with a course of grisofulvin or sporinox to cure her once and for all of this issue. I am sure you also know that you really need a UV light to find active spores on her so they can be treated topically so this stops this cycle. Ringworm IS totally cureable I do hope you find the right home for her, but I would encourage you to clear her of this completely, first, before rehoming

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

When God Created the Ragdoll Cat....He was Just Showing Off!!

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia
Visit Furrballz Ragdolls at Home!

#3 cookiegin

cookiegin

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hi and thank you for your reply The ringworm is not why I'm trying to find her a new home. The problem is manageable, and I know that. She doesn't have ringworm at the moment as she has been regularly bathed recently, but I do know that it will come back after a month or so. She has been treated with a course of oral griseofulvin twice. Each time she developed ulcers in her gum, but we finished the course anyway but it came back regardless. The last time I had ringworm was probably 3 years ago, and my fiancee recently got it on her arm but I recognised it straight away and treated it with anti-fungal cream. It's now gone and did not leave a mark. So the ringworm is not an issue for me at all, but I mentioned it because potential new owners may find it an issue (if their children get it for example), and I wanted to be up front about it. Cookie's older sister Ginger may be going to a new home. A lady who lives not far away and has a 2 year old cat wants to see her tomorrow, and is keen to take her. She lives in a house with a backyard, so I'm excited about the prospect but very sad to think about letting her go. At the moment I'm burning hundreds of photos of her taken over 7 years onto a DVD, for the new owner. I am also going to sleep on the couch tonight, to spend the last night together with both my lovelies. Again, thank you for your concern, and please let other cat lovers know about Cookie. Thank you

#4 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Please try sporinox, it is a better treatment in my opinion, than grisifulvin I do wish you luck in finding her a good home

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

When God Created the Ragdoll Cat....He was Just Showing Off!!

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia
Visit Furrballz Ragdolls at Home!

#5 cookiegin

cookiegin

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Nobody has shown interest in adopting Cookie yet, so I might give Sporanox a go, but the problem is the fungal spores live in the environment for several months and no amount of steam cleaning the carpet and wiping down surfaces with alcohol solutions guarantees to get rid of the spores. The longest stretch she has gone ringworm free is about 3 months, and I do believe she got rid of ringworm at one point, and caught it again from the spores. Being a pure breed, I wouldn't be surprised if her immunity is weaker, especially given her older sister Ginger has never had ringworm. Thank you for your concern.. all the best for you and your furries.

#6 kittenmitten

kittenmitten

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

having had friends who have Persians and brought home ringworm from a show, can assure you that you can get rid of it out of the home and cat, you just have to be vigilant, wash and steam clean everything, and bath the cat each week to get rid of it. As these people had the RW many years ago, treated and got rid of it,. and have not had even one outbreak since then, I know that it can be permanently eradicated, it just takes a lot of hard work. Good luck in rehoming her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users