• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dexgibbs

dexgibbs

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hi there I am new to the forums although I have been reading for quite awhile. Apologies for this first post being a long one. I have an elderly cat who is almost 17 yo. About 6 weeks ago we had to pts her older sister who had many problems. It was tough during the last 18 months with Annie as she yowled almost constanly some days, the vet said she had cat dementia as well as a thyriod condition, heart and kidney problems Moppet seemed to be sad at first but then seemed to enjoy being an only cat. I was the one who could not cope with only one cat in the house (after 5 at one stage) and got a kitten. At first Moppet was hissy and and ran from him, after a few days she stopped eating and blaming myself for stressing her with a new kitten took her to the vet. Her potassium levels were very low and the vet put her on tablets, the vet said her not eating was nothing to do with a new kitten as she did not stop eating until a few days after the kittens arrival. The kitten was lonley and tried to play with her so I got another one to be a friend so he would not bother Moppet. On the potassium tablets as well as her cortisone for a bowel problem and blood pressure tablets she seemed to improve although her appetite was not as voracious as it used to be. The two kittens did not seem to bother her and she stopped hissing at them, instead giving them the "look" if they tried to play with her. All was good or so I thought. 5 days ago she again stopped eating, she wanted to but if she tried she would gag and claw at her mouth. I took her to the vet and they kept her in overnight rehydrating her. The opinion was she had throat ulcers possibly caused by the scratching of the large tablets she was on. She came home from vets yesterday as they considered she was eating ok. Today all she has had is some juice from a can of sardines. She will not try any chicken mince, her favourite. She seems really miserable and just wants to lie on the path outside. She also has a large lesion on her head under her ear, the 3 vets at my practice all have different opinions as to what it is, one says it is sun cancer which is what I thought it was originally. This lesion is raw looking and horrible, it looked like just a dry scab until one vet told us to soak it off and apply antifungal lotion, it seems to be getting worse. My question is, when do you know if your darling cat has had enough, is she trying to tell me something by not eating. Would I be prolonging her pain by taking her back to the vet to be rehydrated and force fed? Please help I am feeling very sad.

#2 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Try a few things ,poached chicken breast, vegemite ..warm up her food in the microwave it will smell more attractive .. NEXT STEP A friend has an elderly cat with eating problems ..she gets renal food or A/D both prescription foods ..makes them into a slurry and syringes about 30 mls three times a day ..You can also crush her meds into the slurry ..This is keeping her cats weight up, and she has small snacks of raw food and biccies during the day as well..worth a try?? And in spite of this the cat is bright and active and plays with the new kittens who are now about 18 months old. Good luck..she will let you know when she's had enough.
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

#3 feloo

feloo

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

yes try her on the AD most cats like it as it tastes really good and is soft or the boiled chicken warm and mashed up as much as you can.. the main problem now is getting some food down her food and making sure she is not dehyrated. as that makes them feel awful..You can be shown how to put warmed fuild in under the skin in the back of her neck to help keep her hydrated..you can see this on www.felinecrf.org. If you can get her over the food issue, then you can work on the ulcer..I would not remove the crust on something as this is protecting it as it heals..they tend to eventually come off by themselves.. is she a white cat or have exposed pink skin, as usually the hair protects form skin cancer.. Diagnosis is a nightmare when you get 3 different ones!! lots of love to you and your adorable cat!!

#4 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

Just for info..my almost 17 yr old is the boss of our household and pretty active for an old girl..I see another good few years in her. since the supplimentary feeding my friends cat is actually healthier than she was before the assistance ..We think it's because the syringing adds fluids to her diet, and she gets enough calories to keep weight on, and it's much easier to give her her daily meds. This cat has problems with her oesophagus too..it is too narrow to allow inadequately chewed food ..so the softer stuff is best. Her weight has been stable and steadily increasing by teeny amounts. She pretends she hates it ..her owner arrives with a bib and the syringes ..and the cat goes gallopping off..'no no ..not the syringe' ..and it becomes a game of chasies ..once "caught" she settles down and guzzles her food. It's so funny .. Give your old girl a try..

#5 dexgibbs

dexgibbs

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for your advice. I have made her Hills prescription Zd into a slurry and she has had this 3 times now, the first one at 2am when I could not sleep for worry. 20ml is the most we can manage at a time. My husband gave her some juice from a sardine can at lunch time which she lapped right up. Just now I fed her about a desertspoon of half cooked chicken mince, only cooked enough to get some juices and topped with about a teaspoon of a gravy of vegemite and water, she ate 3/4 of it. Baby steps although this is a cat who was eating 4 cans of food a day only 6 weeks ago.

#6 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

well all eating is good..and extra good cos she is eating on her own as well..so keep up the good work!

#7 dexgibbs

dexgibbs

New Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

I would like to report that Moppet is back to normal with her eating albiet that only steamed fish is ok. Four times a day thank you. The Zd is not considered nor is chicken mince or the hypoallergenic dry food. Memories of being force fed?? She is also interacting with the kittens as in wanting to be in same room and sleeping in the cat condo. :c:

#8 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 1,922 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge &amp; of course cats

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

That's good news. Well done.
IPB Image

#9 lynh

lynh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

I've just read through this thread and I'm thrilled that Moppet has recovered and it eating again. Here's hoping for continued good health for many years, and lots of fun with her kittens.

#10 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE(dexgibbs @ Mar 17 2012, 10:00 PM) [snapback]43502[/snapback]
I would like to report that Moppet is back to normal with her eating albiet that only steamed fish is ok. Four times a day thank you. The Zd is not considered nor is chicken mince or the hypoallergenic dry food. Memories of being force fed?? She is also interacting with the kittens as in wanting to be in same room and sleeping in the cat condo. :c:
Excellent....try leaving kitten food around..often it is popular with older cats..get some kitten wet food and leave dry kitten bics around for her to graze on..

#11 gyan

gyan

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:reading novels,cricket

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Our cat was lethargic, however, so sometimes not all symptoms apply. However, being ravenous and yet still not eating is classic. Some sites describe it as "feline anorexia. thanks... Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users