Why???

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 squirtle

squirtle

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

Any ideas why the cat would suddenly pee on a beanbag? Nothing changed in his routine apart from the fact I was late this morning cleaning out his litter tray (by about two hours) - could this be the reason? I have removed the beanbag, thoroughly cleaned the floorboards and am thinking of placing a second litter tray down for him. I am also going to return to crating him overnight. Hoping this will mean the beanbag peeing episode is a one off. Open to any other ideas. Cheers.

#2 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 986 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

The only time any of mine have ever peed outside the box is on a bean bag or bean filled foot rest. Apparently not uncommon either. The general rule is to have an extra litter tray than the number of cats. Why is he crated?

#3 squirtle

squirtle

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

When we first got Squirtle he had been housed in a x-large dog crate for two months (with his litter tray and food). We purchased a crate to gradually allow him to roam free without feeling insecure. We had the crate door open at all times but shut it overnight so he wasn't wandering and scratching on my son's door. This only lasted for about a week. He still sleeps in the crate but with the door open (his choice) - we don't see the need to get rid of the crate as it is Squirtle's safe haven and quiet spot. I also think it is important we have a safe place to place Squirtle in which he is comfortable and familiar - times like when we vacuum and he tries to escape we pop him in the crate and shut the door temporarily. My thought is to re crate him overnight with the door shut for a week or two to hopefully stop any further peeing in the house - assuming he peed overnight not in the day. The crate is large enough to hold his bed, food and litter tray. Though not ideal in my opinion it doesn't seem to bother the cat. He is a funny cat - he sleeps in a cat carrier with the door removed which is inside this oversized dog crate (door open) covered with a double sized sheet. That is the way he likes it. I purchased the Oz Pet litter tray today so he now has two litter trays in separate rooms. Hope to Oz Pet litter tray lives up to its reputation!!!!!!!!!! Interesting your comment on bean bags - there is another one in the room - better get it out asap!

#4 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 986 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

I would restrict him to a room or two rather than crate him, but that's just me. Remove the bean bags and try another litter tray. I understand he's fine in there with the door open, we've got PP20's out in several rooms and the cats all sleep in them.

#5 CeilingCat

CeilingCat

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

I agree with ChocolateDots, I'd keep him in only one or two rooms and monitor his before and see if he acts up again and starts peeing. When my cat's are acting up I try and change their change their habits a bit, but while trying to maintain their surroundings. Hopefully your little baby willl change his ways soon.

#6 squirtle

squirtle

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Well the good news is we have had no further weeing problems. I have given him an additional litter tray and he is using both. I have purchased the oz pet litter tray. I am totally converted and LOVE it. Squirtle only had access to two rooms on the night of the accident. A rumpus room and kitchenette - hence the reason we decided to crate him. Either way it didn't last we only crated him one night. I think the second tray may be the answer to the problem. Thank you for the guidance.

#7 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 986 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Great that things are going well, hope it continues.

#8 Blaine

Blaine

New Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Maybe it's his/her nature :angelic: you can research it

#9 stever

stever

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

That's great to hear...in my experience, the location is very important as well. Cats like to feel safe while they are in their box...

#10 Rachelle

Rachelle

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

It has been my experience that apparrently beanbags of any sort are irresistable to cats for urinating on. I do not know why, but I gave up trying to have beanbags years ago.

#11 Remy

Remy

New Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

OOh you poor thing. How annoying. Sorry, nothing useful to add.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users