• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#1 Mymphf

Mymphf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

I have recently joined a cat club and while I've attended a few shows in my time I think I'd like to be involved in the whole day a little more than just being a spectator. So, I'll need to find myself a cat to show! My current girls are too old and grumpy to even consider involving them so that means a kitten. After speaking with Persian and Maine Coon breeders I think that I'd be interested in a cat that doesn't require as much grooming as what these two breeds need. I'd be looking for a not so popular breed - there seems to be hundreds of Ragdolls and Birmans and Maine Coons out there and while they are beautiful cats, I think they've got too much fur for what I'm looking for. I've done some research and I have three breeds that could fit well with my household: Ocicat Devon Rex Scottish Fold (but with the straight ears) So what I'm looking for here is personal experiences of people who own these breeds. How do you find their personalities, how do they go at shows (if you show them) and recommendations for possible breeders? Your opinions and comments are most welcome, as are your suggestions for a novice like me. :p:

#2 lynh

lynh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

There is a regular poster on this forum who breeds Ocicats - they look gorgeous and I've been told they have lovely dispositions. I'm sure if you look through a few threads you'll find her, she has some beautiful pictures of her cats with her posts. How can a cat be called a Scottish Fold, and have straight ears?? :j: Actually, I would presume that in litters of Folds there are kittens with both folded ears and straight ears, but it just sounds a bit strange, don't you think?

#3 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 1,971 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge & of course cats

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

Often Devons are not great to show as they are very active. A Scottish Shorthair is not a recognised breed so would have to be shown as a group 4. Ocicats are gorgeous but 'm not sure about their temperament. I hope Chocolate Dots will be along to let you know what they are like as a show cat.
IPB Image

#4 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 986 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Scottish Shorthairs shown are here (SA) in group 3, I would assume CCCA & ACF allow it across Australia but could be wrong. I have Ocicats, some show better than others. A lot depends on how they are handled by the stewards and judges. It can also be very hard showing a rarer breed, some just put up the better known breeds or don't really know the standard of lesser known breeds. That said, my cats have won best in groups and almost always get in top 5 in at least one ring of a 2 ring show. Oci's and Devons are very active, Scottish aren't. Scottish also might shed a lot too. The home Oci personality, busy, active, highly intelligent. Love their people, lap sitters and under the cover snugglers. During the day they are crazy, but at night they snuggle in and sleep til morning. I've got 6 8 week olds sleeping with me at the moment and even they settle quickly and snooze all night.

#5 Mymphf

Mymphf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

Another possibility could be a Selkirk Rex. My youngest loves the chubby look of a British Shorthair but I'm concerned about the amount of fur they are rumoured to drop and these cats to me look rather similar barring the obvious curly coat versus the straight. Does anyone know anything about Selkirks?

#6 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 986 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

I only know of a few Selkirks, they are adorable but not much going on upstairs lol They also seem to shed quite a bit. I do love the look of the curly longhairs :)

#7 Mymphf

Mymphf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hmmm... Maybe not for me then. I definitely don't want a stupid cat. I've got kids, so that's enough!

#8 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

Which State are you in? I know of a wonderful Devon Rex breeder, we have 2 of hers and they are pretty bombproof :)

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

When God Created the Ragdoll Cat....He was Just Showing Off!!

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia
Visit Furrballz Ragdolls at Home!

#9 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

...just to tease you some more... I know Fiona ships interstate.... http://www.mangalaka...u/devon_rex.htm

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia

#10 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 986 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Furrballz @ Mar 22 2012, 10:13 AM) [snapback]43538[/snapback]
...just to tease you some more... I know Fiona ships interstate.... http://www.mangalaka...u/devon_rex.htm
If you're going with Fi, get a Singa :luv: ...one day I will lol

#11 Mymphf

Mymphf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Undecided at the moment... I'm still stuck on those golden eyes :) Oh, and it appears that I have a stalker! Lucky me!

#12 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Sighh oh yes a singa is on my list too ..and I don't care how many legs it has ..grin..
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

#13 Mymphf

Mymphf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Well, I'm going to out myself here and say that my search is over...in record time too, I must say. Now I've just got to wait for the right kitten to come along :)

#14 Muffy

Muffy

I love my Devon Scarf

• Admin
  • 1,971 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Playing bridge &amp; of course cats

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

That's wonderful news. I hope it doesn't take long for your new fur baby to be found or even born.
IPB Image

#15 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 986 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

How exciting Mymphf, hopefully your wait won't be too long
QUOTE(fleabag @ Mar 22 2012, 09:58 PM) [snapback]43542[/snapback]
Sighh oh yes a singa is on my list too ..and I don't care how many legs it has ..grin..
Couldn't have more than an Oci lol

#16 Serena

Serena

Owned by Honey & Raidon

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Cats, cats and more cats<br />Genealogy

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

I saw the most gorgeous Selkirk Rex on my favourite cat page. She was cinnamon/white. She has one blue eye and one golden eye. Sorry can't post a picture because it isn't ethical to use other people's photos that they share, even though it was not watermarked. I suppose I am a bit biased as I own a Selkirk Rex.
To err is human, to purr is feline.

#17 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

"Serena" It isnt ethical to use others pictures IF they are being used to show something they arent, such as stating that it is their cat, or trying to sell it. I have had that happen to me. If someone shares it FOR the owner or as an example, I would have no issues with that myself.

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia

#18 Mymphf

Mymphf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

As said, my search is over so I'm not interested, thanks all the same Ann. Although, why you're offering advice when you stated that I'd never own a show pony is beyond me. I think you also forget that I already own two group 1 cats so group 4 isn't my only option. Also, as said, I'm not in the market for a dumb cat. The cat that I've chosen hasn't got a reputation of being stupid. It will fit in around here quite nicely.

#19 Mymphf

Mymphf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(Mymphf @ Mar 23 2012, 09:20 PM) [snapback]43549[/snapback]
Well, I'm going to out myself here and say that my search is over...in record time too, I must say. Now I've just got to wait for the right kitten to come along :)
BUMP! Remember this? Well, the show pony comes home in August :hh: Not long to wait. Not telling who it is yet, we'll keep that a surprise :goofy:

#20 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 986 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Ooh how exciting, hope the time passes quickly for you

#21 ciggggg

ciggggg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

YAAAYYYY how exciting!! not long to go now!! although 2ish months, when looking forward to something, feels like eternity!! hope all goes well for you!! can't wait to see what breed you decided on!! :hh: I'm gonna make a random guess n say SINGAPURA :D

#22 Serena

Serena

Owned by Honey & Raidon

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Cats, cats and more cats<br />Genealogy

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Craig are you still getting a Coonie?
To err is human, to purr is feline.

#23 Mymphf

Mymphf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

Bit off topic there Serena... But Craig, if you're looking at adding a coonie friend for Penny I can't recommend them enough. I have two boys and they delight me every single day. :) Nope, not a Singa! :sneaky:

#24 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

I know I KNOW!!!! hehehehehehehehe ... but I'm not telling!!! hehehehe

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia

#25 Mymphf

Mymphf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

NEWS!!! Seems that I've only got a couple of weeks to wait now! How the hell did that happen? lol

#26 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 986 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

Well that's very exciting! A few weeks will pass in no time

#27 kittenmitten

kittenmitten

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

guessing a devon

#28 Mymphf

Mymphf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Nup :goofy: Good guess tho!

#29 kittenmitten

kittenmitten

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

Ragdoll?????

#30 Furrballz

Furrballz

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

:lol: I dont think you will get it Linda!! You are very very cold!! :P

Hugs and Kitty Kisses,
Terri-Ann
xxx

Furrballz Ragdolls
Melbourne, Australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users