Cat Flu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michelle1963

Michelle1963

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

I was asked to care for overnight 1 mum cat and 3 kittens, while awaiting transport, that was ok they looked fine, eyes and noses ok and no sneezing,i heard from the rescue group that after 2 day time they all showed cat flu symptons and after a further 3 days late vet advise was to put all to sleep, as so many in care and rehoming was going to be an issue. How can i prevent this from happening again? As i said they were ok when they came into care. I have also cleaned the pen, cat carry cage, litter tray and bowls with disinfectant. they had no contact with other cats in care. What is the best disinfectant should i use in the cattery?

#2 kittenmitten

kittenmitten

Cat Mad

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Best disinfectant is f10 which us vet grade. As to preventing it can be stress induced so care needs to be taken to minimize stress. Definitely they should have no contact with other cats even if just there overnight as basic multiple car quarantine procedure

#3 Michelle1963

Michelle1963

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

I did think about the stress factor but in future should i hold them for 2 weeks then send them on. They came from a country pound and travelled for 1 hour to my house then the next day a 1 hour trip again.I get asked about twice a month to hold cats/kittens till they get transport to rescue.

#4 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

That is sad....it is extremely stressful for a mum with kittens to travel like that and the likely reason they came down with flu....perhaps mum was a carrier....you have no way of knowing her status. I actually don't think you can prevent it happening...if the immune system is compromised - just a matter of luck actually. You could try REscue Remedy for the mum and also feliway in the carry box on the bedding to try and calm them but it is an awful thing to do to a mum cat and kittens to move them.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users