Cat Chat Home Page

Cat Information Cat Breeds and Pictures  Cat Breeder's Listings
What is classed as a GOOD reason to become a Registered Breeder? - Cat Chat - Cat Forums Australia

Photo

What is classed as a GOOD reason to become a Registered Breeder?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ciggggg

ciggggg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hey guys! just wanted to get everyones opinion on this. Is a SEVERE love (for lack of a better term LOL) for cats a good enough reason? RIght now, I dont know alot, if not nothing about cats. I do know however, that I love every single one! I love the idea of breeding, Creating a line of beautiful cats, aiming for perfection, temperamentally and phsycially (health). EVENTUALLY I want to become a registered breeder. this is my plan in chronological order lol : Currently in the process of researching cat breeds, to see which I feel im most suited too. Narrowed it down so far to atleast 16 different breeds lol. Ive planned to attend as many cat shows as possible as a spectatre to really get an appreciation of what goes on at shows, and generally just enjoy looking at the different breeds in person. Trying (if they get time) to talk to breeders about thier breeds and just gather information Foster kittens from the RSPCA to get a better handle/experience of looking after kittens. Purchase a desexed show quality cat and show it for a few years to really get to know the breed, and expectations of what I want from my breeding program. Meet people who share my interests, possibly find a future mentor. Start research into genetics and health, find some courses at tafe/CIT/Uni in regards to animal husbandry and any other relevant courses Save money..as much as I possibly can, as I'm aware ill definately need money behind me. I'm also aware I probably wont make much if any at all, once I become registered as a breeder. Im prepared for this, and it doesnt worry me at all. Move to a bigger place. Keep in mind this plan is spanning over a minimum of 5 years. I dont want to rush into something as serious as this. Am I going about this the right way? I mean at this point I know this is something im definately wanting to do, but again, I might not want to do it in the future, who knows what we really want for ourselves. Point being, This is something that is really important too me, and it means alot. Any opinion is welcome :) THanks for listening to my insanity! :) :a:

#2 gazey

gazey

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

It is easy to find reasons to breed but harder to look at why not to. Can you part with gorgeous babies that you have raised from birth and fallen in love with? Can you lett a breeding that you have raised and loved be desexed and then find a loving pet home for them at a time when they still have a good life ahead of them and then let them go? Can you bear a newborn kitten that is fading away despite your best efforts to give antibiotics, warmth and a supplimentary feed? Can you bear the cost of a 'C' section at midnight at the emergency vet and only results in one live kitten (my last one cost $1400). These are just a few of many things that spring to mind when someone says they want to be a breeder and well worth thinking about. gazey
Spellbound Cattery
breeder of quality Birman Cats.

#3 ciggggg

ciggggg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(gazey @ Apr 16 2012, 07:52 PM) [snapback]43893[/snapback]
It is easy to find reasons to breed but harder to look at why not to. Can you part with gorgeous babies that you have raised from birth and fallen in love with? Can you lett a breeding that you have raised and loved be desexed and then find a loving pet home for them at a time when they still have a good life ahead of them and then let them go? Can you bear a newborn kitten that is fading away despite your best efforts to give antibiotics, warmth and a supplimentary feed? Can you bear the cost of a 'C' section at midnight at the emergency vet and only results in one live kitten (my last one cost $1400). These are just a few of many things that spring to mind when someone says they want to be a breeder and well worth thinking about. gazey
Hi Gazey, :) Based on how im feeling about my missing cat kitten right now, probably not :(....It doesnt seem like a very easy task. But then again, In regards to rehoming kittens/cats, It would make it easier for me knowing that they were going to good forever homes. I was thinkin that would be a good thing to test with fostering kittens, To get me used to the idea of temporary house guests. It is one of the things that worries me. Right now, i know that i wouldnt be able to afford many emergency treatments, But the plan is to continuously put money aside to help towards these events. I work hard and have a reasonably well paying job within the government. So it will make saving a bit easier for the future. Not really knowing what the average cost of running a cattery is right now, I wouldnt be sure if i could afford it.

#4 lynh

lynh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hi again Ciggg, You and I are very alike - I too fall in love with every cat I come across. I'd be in hog heaven if I could work with cats, or run a sanctuary where they'd always have a home. I once asked, on this forum I think, if being a breeder of pedigree cats is something that can be undertaken full time, i.e. can one pay the mortgage, run the car, pay all the household bills, pay vet bills, etc, etc, etc from the income from selling the kittens. I didn't ask with any idea that it was something that I could do, I was just interested. I'm sorry that I have forgotten the member's name - but a cat breeder gave me a very detailed and interesting reply, also talked about dollars and cents, and basically said that cat breeding is a very expensive hobby, not something that can be relied upon to create a livable income. Just imagine, if you had bad luck with two litters you were relying on and lost most of the kittens, plus had the inevitable extra vet expenses with a number of very sick cats, you'd be done for (unless you are independently wealthy, which I don't think any of us are). I don't know your circumstances, and perhaps in years to come you are planning on being able to retire or semi-retire, or perhaps you even have the energy, unlike yours truly, to work full-time and then come home to being a very busy cat breeder too. I wish you all the luck in the world in achieving your dream. In all good conscience though, even only knowing the barest facts, I wouldn't recommend cat breeding as being able to provide anyone with a good income, and give up steady, well paid employment to take it on.

#5 lynh

lynh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

I forgot to answer your question......duhhh...... I can't think of a better reason to start breeding cats than a severe love of them. I think that the "animals" that run puppy and kitten farms, and call themselves "breeders", have just the opposite, and are able to look at these poor creatures as property, not living beings. You need to love them "severely" in order to provide the best for them. If you don't, sooner or later, the animals suffer for it.[/size]

#6 ciggggg

ciggggg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(lynh @ Apr 16 2012, 08:48 PM) [snapback]43896[/snapback]
Hi again Ciggg, You and I are very alike - I too fall in love with every cat I come across. I'd be in hog heaven if I could work with cats, or run a sanctuary where they'd always have a home. I once asked, on this forum I think, if being a breeder of pedigree cats is something that can be undertaken full time, i.e. can one pay the mortgage, run the car, pay all the household bills, pay vet bills, etc, etc, etc from the income from selling the kittens. I didn't ask with any idea that it was something that I could do, I was just interested. I'm sorry that I have forgotten the member's name - but a cat breeder gave me a very detailed and interesting reply, also talked about dollars and cents, and basically said that cat breeding is a very expensive hobby, not something that can be relied upon to create a livable income. Just imagine, if you had bad luck with two litters you were relying on and lost most of the kittens, plus had the inevitable extra vet expenses with a number of very sick cats, you'd be done for (unless you are independently wealthy, which I don't think any of us are). I don't know your circumstances, and perhaps in years to come you are planning on being able to retire or semi-retire, or perhaps you even have the energy, unlike yours truly, to work full-time and then come home to being a very busy cat breeder too. I wish you all the luck in the world in achieving your dream. In all good conscience though, even only knowing the barest facts, I wouldn't recommend cat breeding as being able to provide anyone with a good income, and give up steady, well paid employment to take it on.
QUOTE(lynh @ Apr 16 2012, 09:00 PM) [snapback]43898[/snapback]
I forgot to answer your question......duhhh...... I can't think of a better reason to start breeding cats than a severe love of them. I think that the "animals" that run puppy and kitten farms, and call themselves "breeders", have just the opposite, and are able to look at these poor creatures as property, not living beings. You need to love them "severely" in order to provide the best for them. If you don't, sooner or later, the animals suffer for it.[/size]
Hi Lynh!! :) I have never understood how people can be so heartless when it comes to animals! (puppy/cat mills) its horrible even thinking about it! I think love is a very strong motivator to do something! stronger than money! I agree that trying to breed to make an income would never work. Im still pretty far off from retiring (unless i win the lottery LOL) but, financially, I think that it would not be too big of an issue, I have plans in place to help that. I dont plan too, expect, or want to make money. That side of things is not even a factor in my reasoning lol. And as i said in one of my other posts, My vet was happy for me to pay them an amount each fortnight into an account for all my vet bills so that will come in handy! haha. In saying all that, I still have no idea the kind of costs and figures it will take to get started, and maintain healthy cats. So theres still alot of research, soul searching, and accounting to do! haha! :) thanks so much Lynh :)

#7 Mymphf

Mymphf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

I would suggest you definitely start off with a show neuter of your most desired breed and show, show, show! This will help putting you in contact with the people who can possibly become your mentor in the future and you will learn loads about the type that is most desirable. On the other hand, fostering/rescue work is a most noble option; there are so many cats and kittens out there already who need the care that they may be missing out on and need all the help they can get to find suitable, loving homes. I know people who rescue and in my opinion, they are in all ways equal to people who breed in how they love their cats. More often than not, you will have already pregnant cats in your care and you will get to have a regular kitten fix this way. Either way, both options require a continual stream of funds initially to set up the accommodation for the cats and then maintain whatever you choose to do. Lots to think about, good luck!

#8 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Love for cats is NOT a good enough reason to start being a Registered breeder in my opinion....it is enough reason to own and love cats, to foster for a protection organisation or to own and exhibit a pedigreed spey/neuter but it takes passion for a breed and total dedication to breed and establish a line....it is a very bumpy road a lot of the time. Many people start breeding because of love of cats and they do sometimes develop passion but more fall by the wayside in the first 3 years. You need deep pockets and a strong heart that is not easily broken. By all means have your dreams but let your head keep in linewith your heart.

#9 ciggggg

ciggggg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE(Heather Sharada @ Apr 16 2012, 10:39 PM) [snapback]43904[/snapback]
Love for cats is NOT a good enough reason to start being a Registered breeder in my opinion....it is enough reason to own and love cats, to foster for a protection organisation or to own and exhibit a pedigreed spey/neuter but it takes passion for a breed and total dedication to breed and establish a line....it is a very bumpy road a lot of the time. Many people start breeding because of love of cats and they do sometimes develop passion but more fall by the wayside in the first 3 years. You need deep pockets and a strong heart that is not easily broken. By all means have your dreams but let your head keep in linewith your heart.
Thanks Heather, :angelic: Thanks Heather :) I appreciate what your saying. I personally believe that passion comes from love. I consider what I have to be a passion. Does not everyone on this forum have a passion of some description for cats? But yes I do agree with you. I mean i still dont even know what breed I want, which is usually the first thing a breeder should know before they even decide to want to breed. But in saying all that. Im aware that breeding cats is not something to be taken lightly, and I could very well fail, but at this point in time, all im doing is testing the waters as it were, just getting advice and trying to see things from all angles. As we know I have no idea what im doing right now, but everyone has to start somewhere i guess. Im just happy right now looking at breeds, talking to fellow cat lovers and asking questions :)

#10 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Cat Mad

• 3,048 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

You are in a very good space for now....I don't agree that love and passion are the same.....I love cats and several times trying to get involved with another breed ie I considered Burmilla, Burmese and even Ragdolls but the fervour was not sufficient to move me on to the second breed.....I think that passion drives love in a particular direction and it is the force that keeps you going when you lose ypur first ever litter and even a much loved queen....and this did not happen to me but did happen to a friend....however it was passion that pushed me onwards when two kittens from one litter died from FIP...breaking their owners hearts. It is good to think deeply as you are doing but every season has a reason and I was just answering your question if love was enough

#11 fleabag

fleabag

shuffling, shuffling ...

• 2,445 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening ..travelling travelling travelling<br />Working with disabled kids, swimming with wild things ...

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Not a breeder ..but maddd about cats ..I adore them all..but I don't see myself as a breeder..I just don't have what it takes in my opinion .. We all have a place in the cat world ..I know my place ..grin...besotted owner/slave.
I could be unstoppable if I could just get started.

#12 ciggggg

ciggggg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(Heather Sharada @ Apr 17 2012, 01:09 PM) [snapback]43911[/snapback]
It is good to think deeply as you are doing but every season has a reason and I was just answering your question if love was enough
Hi Heather :) Im sorry if i made it sound like i was arguing about that, I wasnt. I really do appreciate your posts here and it has given me alot to think about! thanks so much :)

#13 gazey

gazey

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

I think we all have a love for cats on this forum but not necessarily the passion to be a breeder. It is passion, not love that keeps you going against the odds and when finances are hurting. I dont know of any breeder that is ethical and has good moral values that also makes a profit from breeding. It is a very expensive hobby to do properly, gazey
Spellbound Cattery
breeder of quality Birman Cats.

#14 lotus

lotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

I agree with what Heather says in post # 8.

#15 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Cat Mad

• Admin
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(gazey @ Apr 17 2012, 04:33 PM) [snapback]43914[/snapback]
It is passion, not love that keeps you going against the odds
Agree the passion must be there, even then there will be times you want to give up. That's where a good support network is essential, you need people who are there 24/7 to listen, guide and support you. Choosing a breed was easy for me, love at first site and the more I learnt the more I was sold. Definitely narrow down your choices and show a neuter or two first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users