Jun 1 2011, 07:44 PM
One of my 5 months old female rescue kittens has had a bloated belly for about one month, and it is getting worse. It also has reoccurring diarrhoea. Does anybody have any suspicion what it could be?
I have wormed the kitten regularly, last time two weeks ago with Drontal, and I have run a 5-day antibiotic treatment; it didn't help. The siblings (3 left) and our other cats are fine, so it is obviously not infectious. They are getting really good food, a variety of premium dry foods (Royal Canine, Science, ect.) and fresh meats.
This kitten has been spayed 6 weeks ago, with a section on the belly. It does not seem to be particularly painful when I touch, massage or sqeeze the belly, but it is constantly bloated and hard, like a balloon. I'm afraid that something might be growing inside, or some fluids accummulating. How do I find out? Shall I have X-rays done, or ultrasound? Some sort of laboratory tests? I don't want to spend too much money. What do you suggest?
Jun 2 2011, 10:20 AM
I would be having that kitten down the vet, this could be many things...
FIP, a bowel infection, blockage...
You could be risking her life by waiting :(
Be advised by your vet, or go to a cat specialist
Jun 2 2011, 11:01 AM
I already was at the vet's with her twice - the vet said, worm her and use these antibiotics. If I take her to the vet's again and again, they will, of course, go through the whole range of services, and I'll end up with a total bill of $2,000 or more. I have another vet appointment wit her tomorrow and I hoped you could give some specific advice what to ask for.
As I mentioned, this is a rescue kitten, a moggie mix-bred out of a litter of 8, which I don't want to keep (I already have 12 purebreds and 2 adopted rescues) and which I will never get an adoption fee of more than $150 for (if I am lucky), and she has already cost me more than double of that. Of course, I want to save her life and I am not going to pass her on to another family as long as she is not healthy - just yesterday, I had a lady here who would have taken her, and I said no, not yet, please come again next week - but I am not willing, either, to spend as much money on her as I would do on a precious purebred Champion breeding cat or on one of those (mix-bred) cats who my whole family has a strong emotional connection with and who are here to stay with us forever. In foster homes, we need to keep the vet costs for rescues, offered for adoption, on a resonable level.
I wonder whether there are any charities in Australia that I could approach to possibly pay for a surgery for this beautiful fluffy kitten, if it is necessary to save her life. Do you know of any?
Jun 2 2011, 11:57 AM
I wish I did know of someone to help, but I dont sorry :(
Find out how much a poo culture will cost from your vet and an x-ray to see if there is a blockage. They would be where I would start
Good luck, and I understand your reasoning
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here